lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: No Lights or Horn (Workhorse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Usually when I pull a battery and I know it won't be going back in right then I put a bread or twist tie through the rings of one terminal post as a reminder.. I ain't as young as I used to be..
And I thought that was MY secret trick
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

No, your secret trick is the rebuild shop in Appling..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #13
itbedave
Not Yet Wild

BINGO! That was exactly the problem. Moved the wire back to the battery hold down bolt and horn and lights are back! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge on this. As a non-profit that supports our high school's marching band program, this saved our band boosters probably $100 by the time you figure up the time for someone to load/unload the cart on a trailer and take it to the nearest service center to get it "fixed," which was our next stop if I couldn't figure it out. So we really appreciate it!
itbedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #14
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Excellent. It may have gone to the - battery terminal but what you did works too. Now they can carry the tubas around
Old 07-26-2015, 10:36 PM   #15
itbedave
Not Yet Wild

Well, a year later and I thought I'd give an update. New problem that I wonder if it's related?

The cart won't start without a jump or battery booster on it. Like its getting no power and will just barely turn over once when you press the pedal...then nothing. I checked the battery voltage with a meter and it's at.12 to 12.3 volts. But no go.

If I put the booster on it, the voltage shows 12.44 volts, and the cart starts easily upon pressing the pedal.

Is this simply a failing battery? , Or should I be looking elsewhere?

I've I get it started, I can drive it for awhile with no problems. But if I stop long, then try to go again...it's like it's dead again unless it's within a minute or so of stopping.

Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #16
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Put the volt meter one it when trying to start and I bet it drops. You probably have a cell going bad.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #17
itbedave
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tip. I wanted to do that the other day, but I don't have clamps for my meter and only one set of hands. I'll do that tonight when I can have a helper there.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #18
itbedave
Not Yet Wild

Another question while I'm thinking about it. This battery is a NAPA 8142. First, is this the right/best battery for it?

Looks physically in good condition but we've no idea how old it is as the date code label was never marked, we can't find a receipt, and with the normal turnover in boosters organization, no one is around who might know. I know it's not been replaced in the last 4 years for certain. But the cart really only gets used between The last week of July and the beginning of October. It gets used on weekdays for about 2 weeks for band camp, and then only on Friday nights the rest of the season. It's stored indoors in our band trailer, protected from the elements, but not temperature controlled. Thought I'd provide as much info as possibly in case it helps. I'm putting together a binder with photos, instructions, receipts, maintenance records, and tips for the cart now so future boosters won't have to guess or research to hard on it. Thanks again in advance for any info!
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #19
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Lack of use is the worst thing for a battery.

when the cart won't be used for long periods, the battery should be disconnected, and put on a tender.

Another option is to yank it out, and put it in something that gets used.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #20
itbedave
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Lack of use is the worst thing for a battery.

when the cart won't be used for long periods, the battery should be disconnected, and put on a tender.

Another option is to yank it out, and put it in something that gets used.
I'd wondered about that. I've never owned anything like that, but I recall my grandfather always pulling his motorcycle battery in the winter and hooking it up to some kind of trickle charger.

I can bring it home off-season and do that in my garage - no problem.

Thanks again for the tip!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO