lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #1
Jtucker870
Not Yet Wild

Default Rewired g8 clicks but won't move

I purchased a yamaha g8e and installed a new motor, controller, solenoid, and HD reversing contactor. When I press the accelerator I get a click and then several smaller clicks repeatedly. I jumped the solenoid with no change.

I am a wiring novice but do have a multimeter can someone guide me on a troubleshooting path to see where the trouble is.

The one odd thing is that I get the same sound when the forward and reversing switch is in the neutral position. When it is switched to the reverse position it blows the stock 10a yamaha fuse.
Jtucker870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Jtucker870
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rewired g8 clicks but won't move

So I messed with things a little more, when I jump the solenoid and hold the throttle down nothing happens however when I am letting up there is a point just before the throttle is released the cart moves backwards. If I remove the jumpers the switch clicks again and won't move. The other thing I have noticed is that when the cart is moving backwards it appears that the FR switch is in the forward position at least according to the diagram. So moving the switch to the other position immediately blows the stock fuse.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #3
Jtucker870
Not Yet Wild

A little more testing after reading The controller blinks green then a solid green light but the cart isn't moving when pushing the throttle to the floor no jumpers on the solenoid. I can hear both the FR switch and solenoid click. After holding the pedal to the floor and letting almost all the way up the cart will move in reverse but only for a small section of the pedal range but the fr switch appears to be in the forward position.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Sorry im not much help on this, as i didnt wire it (nor did yamaha). Do you have a original G8 wiring diagram? Did your switching contactor setup come with a diagram? Are you still blowing fuses?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #5
Jtucker870
Not Yet Wild

I do have the original wiring diagram as well as alltrx and a diagram from Scotty b. The cart contained the original wiring before I replaced the components so it was only rewired by me. All the equipment came from scottyb. I primarily used the alltrax controller diagram to position the throttle wires. Everything else I wired according to his diagram at least the best I can tell. I can hear both the solenoid and reversing contactor clicking. I have 48 volts at the secondary connection of the solenoid as well as across the controller b+ to b-.

The wiring appears to be very straight forward so this is throwing me off? I have triple checked the diagram and made sure everything is in the correct spot. However I am still blowing fuses when I change the switch over it is immediate as soon as I hit the throttle.

The only wires I am a having a little trouble is labeled green from the ignition on the alltrax controller which doesn't exist on my cart but I have a red wire going to the + on my battery pack where the green is labeled. I also removed the reverse beeper because this is going to be a hunting cart alltrax said that wouldn't be an issue.

My next call will be to Scottyb to walk through troubleshooting.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Jtucker870
Not Yet Wild

Update spoke with Scottyb bad diode was causing the blown fuses. The throttle sensor is bad causing the poor acceleration. Any ideas for replacement besides a 250 dollar yamaha replacement?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

Throttle sensor for $250, i remember them being about $150... You could look around for a good deal on a "curtis PB-6".
Old 12-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #8
Jtucker870
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Throttle sensor for $250, i remember them being about $150... You could look around for a good deal on a "curtis PB-6".
Any idea what is needed to retrofit it to this cart? The images I see online appear to be very different than the yamaha sensor. The throttle is controlled by a rod and no cable.

Other question could I use a 0-1k instead of the 0-5k sensor and reprogram my spm controller. The 0-1k sensor is cheaper.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

"PB-6" does not have to be operated by cable, but you do have to figure out the geometry to make the original linkage work and how to mount it.. You could get the 0-1k sensor, it should work.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #10
Jtucker870
Not Yet Wild

Received the sensor and installed reprogrammed the controller. Everything worked well. Not sure I am satisfied with the speed though. I may be placing a call to alltrax to check about programming. I hope that I didn't go with the wrong motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha