lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #1
kd0amx
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2004 PDS Motor Lubrication

Hey all! I got a cart from a guy at my camping lease that was flooded last year and the motor was halfway submerged for about a week. I only paid $250 bucks for it so I wasn’t too scared. I got it home and started digging in. The parking brake was set during the flood and subsequent drying time so the shoes were rusted to the drums and the solenoid was totally roached. I freed the brakes and replaced the solenoid and found the controller was indeed bad...no surprise. Today I replaced the controller and the cart goes great (even with the flooded maintenance free batteries that I charged up...LOL!) but the motor is definitely making “sandy” noise or maybe a slight “grind” but I hate to even call it that. The transaxle is clean and fluid changed so I am FAIRLY certain it’s not coming from there. Is there any way to oil the motor? I’m sure the bearings are crumbly and maybe the brushes are making the noise?

Thanks in advance!!

Jon
kd0amx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2020, 07:17 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2004 PDS Motor Lubrication

The bearing is a common one you could get at the auto parts store. Just get the "6000 series" number off the bearing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
The bearing is a common one you could get at the auto parts store. Just get the "6000 series" number off the bearing.

I was hoping for a way to oil it on the cart. Lol! DANG!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
cgtech

Yamaha

Nope, no access to it with the motor installed on the cart. It's not a swamp cooler bearing....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200602_173638.jpg (151.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: 2004 PDS Motor Lubrication

If it where me I have PQ do a rebuild. Are buy a new motor.
If it was flooded then it's rusty all up inside the motor. It would be a great idea to have it took a part and rebuilt.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:03 AM   #6
cgtech

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
If it where me I have PQ do a rebuild. Are buy a new motor.
If it was flooded then it's rusty all up inside the motor. It would be a great idea to have it took a part and rebuilt.
Well, that's not a terrible idea by any means. And I'd go along with that suggestion. I think we're thinking "everything's fine" right now. But I bet when a look is had inside that motor, some things will be seen that cant be "un-seen". I was taking the optimistic view.

Inside will be white "fuzzy & furry" on the aluminum parts, and brown "crusty & rusty" on the steel parts. So, itll be a "clean everything with green 3m scrubber & wd40" (on the scruber pad only, not "hose it all down" with WD). make sure the brushes slide freely, maybe a new bearing, & let 'er rip for all she's got. (Since the original plan was "where's the oiler at?").

And, yes that was a swamp cooler I'm fixing up in my yard "work spot", with new bearings, note the "oilers", that's totally how they still work. Desert style for ya. I still got a box fan from the 60's with Oilers on the motor, it runs great.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #7
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How well is the motor sealed to the transaxle and just the motor in general? I was shocked that when I pulled the cover on the oil pan it had no water in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:38 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

Not well at all, water will find it's way in pretty quickly when submerged.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO