lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
alvingolf
Not Yet Wild

Default How to test potentiometer for speed control

1996 Club Car 48V with the potentiometer speed control. The car will not move. We have checked pretty much everything else. How do you test the potentiometer that is actuated by the accelerator pedal?
alvingolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How to test potentiometer for speed control

Test it with DVM set to ohm. The output on a CC should be 5k -0 ohms. 5K at rest and 0 at wide open throttle
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have it but can't paste it to here.
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
alvingolf
Not Yet Wild

Three wires come out...just find two that will give me those values...what shoud the range be as the pedal is pressed...what reading would indicate that is it bad?
alvingolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If all 3 go to the controller then I understand the question. 1 will be 48v pos to turn the controller on... and the other 2 will give you the test values I posted earlier. You want 0 which is off and then at the floor you want 5k for WOT. If you start high you will not stop if you end low you will not get WOT... more than 5k does no good. hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 AM   #6
Burns1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Need a service manual let me know, all the test procedures are in it.
Burns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
puskers
Not Yet Wild

Have a 96 Club car and was running perfect. Supposedly a new potentiometer on it, but it just slowed down to nearly nothing and the lights still come on bright. Will charge it tonight and see if it still goes, if not will need some help with checking the potentiometer out. This is my first potentiometer so I don't know anything about how they work.
puskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by puskers View Post
Have a 96 Club car and was running perfect. Supposedly a new potentiometer on it, but it just slowed down to nearly nothing and the lights still come on bright. Will charge it tonight and see if it still goes, if not will need some help with checking the potentiometer out. This is my first potentiometer so I don't know anything about how they work.
I had a 96 before I got my new cart and it had a pot box. I had to adjust mine, because I was actually only going about half as fast as I could.
All it is is a little rod that goes into the box, which tells the motor how fast to go. There is a rheostat lever attached to that rod that moves when you press the pedal. You can loosen the little nut on the rheostat lever and adjust how it accelerates. You first have to remove the two screws that hold on the black plastic cover.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #9
mandofire1980
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

they are great fun to adjust and test..you will be jerking all over the place if it is off..The best way is to adjust it a hair either way and test at your controller..
mandofire1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
puskers
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: How to test potentiometer for speed control

I have 48 volts in my batteries, and it still does it. I was running about 15 mph and just all of a sudden slowed right down to about 3 mph, and barely moves in reverse. After reading your post I feel as though it might just be something has vibrated loose. I really don't know where the pot is and I don't want to mess with something and make it worse. The man who sold it to me is said if I brought it to him he would try to find out what is wrong, and as a last resort I will do that. It is about 75 miles and have to borrow a trailer, so thought I would try a few things first. Thanks for the reply.
puskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car