lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2022, 12:52 PM   #11
TheTick
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: ScottyB’s conversion kit - popping fuses

Thanks Scotty - I’ll respond to the email too but since other people posted (thank you!) I’ll put this here too :)

This is not a eureka post, just a “where it stands” one LOL

SO - new diode connected, cathode side negative, everything else is disconnected (common ground, anything else drawing power), blows the fuse. Disconnected the (+) feed from the solenoid coil to the controller, blows the fuse. Noted that Tom47 above is indicating reverse polarity on the diode (stripe (cathode) to the keyswitch, which is positive). Impedance across the solenoid coil tested OK.

So there we have it - pulling everything out and starting over next week :shrug: If anyones following, I’ll keep y’all posted!
TheTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2022, 01:37 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTick View Post
Thanks Scotty - I’ll respond to the email too but since other people posted (thank you!) I’ll put this here too :)

SO - new diode connected, cathode side negative, everything else is disconnected (common ground, anything else drawing power), blows the fuse. Disconnected the (+) feed from the solenoid coil to the controller, blows the fuse. Noted that Tom47 above is indicating reverse polarity on the diode (stripe (cathode) to the keyswitch, which is positive). Impedance across the solenoid coil tested OK.

So there we have it - pulling everything out and starting over next week :shrug: If anyones following, I’ll keep y’all posted!

Before you start pulling the kit out post a few install pics, maybe somebody can see a fed flag? When taking pictures to share separate the wires from each other turn the number tag up so we can read them where possible.
This is a plug and play kit. Troubleshooting should be no trouble.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #13
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:

I'm a bit confused with your description.

The cathode, negative side of diode, which is the end with the stripe, must go to the Positive key switch output. Otherwise, the solenoid would never energize as current would flow through the diode instead of the solenoid coil.

Is this how it is hooked up?

Try this:
Unplug the controller plug
Unplug the 2 wire plug on the throttle

This will only leave the key switch wire to the solenoid. Check for 48 volts+ at the solenoid. If the fuse did not blow, touch a wire from pack negative to the negative side of the coil and see if it energizes. Make sure it is jacked up!
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:57 PM   #14
TheTick
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So here’s part of the email between myself and ScottyB (Tom47 you had it right)… she’s running now - I’m kind of embarrassed to even close this loop but man enough to know it was either a blonde moment or a senior moment LOL - thanks everyone for your help!

“LOL - 22 years in electrical and I read the “red connector on the diode is positive” line in the doc and reversed my thinking. “No it’s not, that’s the negative side of the diode! They must have put it on the wrong end…” Instead of seeing it as a gate, I saw it as flow control (3a max bleed on that schotsky diode, 2-3a fused circuit, somehow keeping the cathode negative made sense thinking it was maybe powering some aspect of the controller)…

Long story short, destroyed a dozen fuses and one ammeter because I misread the install doc and second guessed my understanding of diodes.

If you have a wall of shame, put me on it LOL

She hits the road next weekend 😁 have some finish work but it’s operational 👍 Tight squeeze with the lithium battery in there 😂
Old 06-26-2022, 03:40 PM   #15
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
So here’s part of the email between myself and ScottyB (Tom47 you had it right)… she’s running now - I’m kind of embarrassed to even close this loop but man enough to know it was either a blonde moment or a senior moment LOL - thanks everyone for your help!

“LOL - 22 years in electrical and I read the “red connector on the diode is positive” line in the doc and reversed my thinking. “No it’s not, that’s the negative side of the diode! They must have put it on the wrong end…” Instead of seeing it as a gate, I saw it as flow control (3a max bleed on that schotsky diode, 2-3a fused circuit, somehow keeping the cathode negative made sense thinking it was maybe powering some aspect of the controller)…

Long story short, destroyed a dozen fuses and one ammeter because I misread the install doc and second guessed my understanding of diodes.

She hits the road next weekend 😁 have some finish work but it’s operational 👍 Tight squeeze with the lithium battery in there 😂
You know this is great news! I finally got something right!

Congratulations and I hope it runs like a deer!
Old 06-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #16
Ger42
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:

I'm right there on ScottyB's wall of shame. I F'D up my IQ install. ScottyB set me straight.
Cart is now running great hit 25 MPH last week going past our HOA's electronic speed sign. Next 4" lift and 22" tires manly for a better ride.
Good luck with yours.
Ger42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:31 AM   #17
TheTick
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post
You know this is great news! I finally got something right!

Congratulations and I hope it runs like a deer!
LOL Thanks again! I thought I had something right once but my wife reminded me otherwise

If this cart runs like my John Deere, man I'll be in GREAT shape
Old 06-27-2022, 08:33 AM   #18
TheTick
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ger42 View Post
I'm right there on ScottyB's wall of shame. I F'D up my IQ install. ScottyB set me straight.
Cart is now running great hit 25 MPH last week going past our HOA's electronic speed sign. Next 4" lift and 22" tires manly for a better ride.
Good luck with yours.
LOL I'm sure we're not the first (nor the last) to be in that category . 25MPH is awesome! Decided to keep mine low (this way I can fall INTO the cart, not out of it ;)

Good luck with the lift!
Old 06-27-2022, 08:38 AM   #19
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
LOL Thanks again! I thought I had something right once but my wife reminded me otherwise

If this cart runs like my John Deere, man I'll be in GREAT shape
Old 07-02-2022, 09:29 AM   #20
TheTick
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Ha! Okay, got it to camp and I’m SERIOUSLY IMPRESSED! This thing BOOTS!

Until this morning. Went to move it so I could charge my wife’s cart and she wouldn’t move. The LED on the controller goes green, and then flashes red three times. The manual says “High Pedal disable alarm.
• Remove foot from throttle on power up
• Throttle out of range, replace throttle or recalibrate
throttle for 0 output.
• Disable HPD switch in ControllerPro”

Not touching the pedal…. Weird

Anyone see this before? I’m probably going to start a new thread too so it doesn’t get lost - thanks!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car