lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2010, 08:10 AM   #11
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 4 stroke HEI Conversion

Well, seeing as how all the electrical stuff in my cart is all original ('96) and ive been wanting to give it a little something. I think im going by the parts store on the way home.
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
MCFooter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post

Bottom line, my HEI made a VERY noticeable difference with starting, and a perceptible difference in accelleration - for $40 (HEI and Coil) I would say I'm VERY happy.
Which coil did you use?
MCFooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
MCFooter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Below is the Accel coil mentioned above mounted on my 98 ST350. It has a Red MSD base that solves the primary wiring attachment problem on the bottom of the coil.

I'm still having trouble getting the 4 wire HEI Ignition module to work though. It will run but only at high RPMs and rough at that. I have tried swapping the pulser coil wires and took the module to Autozone to confirm its good.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated. I may redraw the diagram above for a 4 Stroke to make sure I'm not missing something.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #14
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

MC Footer when I looked up the accel coil # at advanceautoparts it didn't show the red msd base with it. Did you find that somewhere else?

BrewCity I like the price for $40 for coil and hei, but where did you find that? Places I have checked your looking at $40 for the coil and $50 for the hei. Just wondering, cause it looked like a good investment to purchase.

Last edited by 98 EZGO; 12-24-2010 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: fixed wording
98 EZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
MCFooter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 EZGO View Post
MC Footer when I looked up the accel coil # at advanceautoparts it didn't show the red msd base with it. Did you find that somewhere else?

BrewCity I like the price for $40 for coil and hei, but where did you find that? Places I have checked your looking at $40 for the coil and $50 for the hei. Just wondering, cause it looked like a good investment to purchase.

The MSD part# 8871 is called a coil stacker and is purchased seperately. I'm sure Accel and others have a similar part.
http://nvautosports.com/msd/msd_igni...1/i-99383.aspx

The place to get these components at a good price is on ebay. Some are open box returns and such but priced much better than retail.

I got some of my stuff from "bertman34436" and I would buy from him again... great guy to deal with.

http://stores.ebay.com/sparks-and-stuff
Old 12-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #16
98 EZGO
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for your help MC Footer. I will check into that. Still have some time before santa comes!
98 EZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #17
MCFooter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

This is what I have wired up but having some trouble with. I'll call the 4 Stroke Diagram a Draft at this time as I may have missed something. If you can tell me what that is I will be glad to try it and update the Diagram.
I know the Pulser coil wires may need to be swapped but I have tried both ways and neither is working well for me ....

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-28-2010, 10:11 AM   #18
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Sorry about the delay getting back, we're in our busy season and not a lot of time for web stuff ...

The coil I used for the 2-stroke conversion was off Ebay, but I searched it again and it looks like they no longer have them available - this link however is from a buddy of mine who used this universal coil on his '89 Marathon (it bears a striking resemblance to mine however the one I got is completely enclosed, magnet and all):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Emgo-...item45f7ae757b

This coil, BTW is only suitable for the 2-stroke conversion, and as a bonus has a plug wire already attached - As to the HEI, the Accel modules are all over for that $18-24 price online, or a generic equivalent at NAPA is like $26
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 AM   #19
MCFooter
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

BTT

Still haven't gotten this 4 Stroke HEI module to work. If anyone has wired up a GM HEI module on a 4 Stroke and could compare theirs to the diagram above I would appreciate it....

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
IRCJB
Getting Wild

Another place to look for coils would be in the Harley market. They use a twin tower coil that will be smaller & easier to mount. Price will be about right as well.
They are available in different ohm values for different models/years; there may be some optimizing available with a different primary resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFooter View Post
BTT

Still haven't gotten this 4 Stroke HEI module to work. If anyone has wired up a GM HEI module on a 4 Stroke and could compare theirs to the diagram above I would appreciate it....

Thanks,
Mike
That diagram looks right to me.
IRCJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO