lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2022, 11:41 AM   #11
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Recipient of 1997 48V Club Car DS - Where to begin?

Hi guys, I took a look at the front axle/hubs/shocks/spindles and there appears to be a decent amount of rust. I attached a quick picture. Is this something I should be concerned about? I am planning on adding a 6" lift kit soon, not sure how that would affect things.

Also, it looks like I'm going lithium, specifically the eco battery 48 72ah. I looked into Allied as well, but I like that eco is a one piece kit, and for $1995 all in which includes battery, converter and extras, the price is only $50 for something similar from Allied. I think the extra 12 ah is worth it, but both seem to be good options. The only drawback is that eco is currently out of stock with next shipment end of Feb/March, but I'll need to find other things to do before hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220109_161833535.MP.jpg (64.6 KB, 0 views)
cclocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2022, 12:20 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I can only speak for the steeling 6” lift kits, because that’s what I’ve always used. They work great and best bang for the buck. But pretty much everything that’s rusted will be replaced. Also I don’t see any structural rust there just surface looking stuff so o really wouldn’t be too worried about it.

One recommendation I would make is to order and replace all the rear leaf spring bushings when you install the lift kit. It’s the perfect time because it’s already apart. And 99% of the time you’ll find the bushings and sleeves are completely gone.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 10:58 AM   #13
Ezgodan
Getting Wild

I have all sports 6” lift kit. A frame. Love it and easy to install
Ezgodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 12:39 PM   #14
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I can only speak for the steeling 6” lift kits, because that’s what I’ve always used. They work great and best bang for the buck. But pretty much everything that’s rusted will be replaced. Also I don’t see any structural rust there just surface looking stuff so o really wouldn’t be too worried about it.

One recommendation I would make is to order and replace all the rear leaf spring bushings when you install the lift kit. It’s the perfect time because it’s already apart. And 99% of the time you’ll find the bushings and sleeves are completely gone.
Thanks I was able to get the Steeleng SGC 6" Double A Arm lift for $320 on eBay directly from Steeleng, so I went with that. Unfortunately it looks like the lift prices have gone up in the past year. They actually have it posted for $420, but they accepted my offer.

Are you suggesting that I just replace the bushings, or also the leaf springs themselves? I also ordered the rear seat kit (also Steeleng) for my kids (5 and 7), so I'm wondering if new springs would be beneficial.

Also, now I need to look into tires/wheels, because I'm not sure the stock 8" wheel will even fit, and I am sure that if they do fit they will look ridiculous.

I'm leaning towards 23" street tires with 14" wheels mainly because I think they look cool, and I think they will fit best with a 6" lift kit. That being said, I honestly don't know what would be best to drive on flat pavement with, which I will doing 99% of the time. I'm also pretty price conscious so something smaller may be a better ride and more cost effective. Any size and brand suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:58 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I doubt you need springs too. Just get the bushings. It’s like $15 or so at the most for all new rear bushings and trust me you’ll need them

I’ve got pictures of my old 99 DS with the steeling lift, both with 23” and 25” tires. Never had a problem with rubbing on either.

Before you lift it and while lifting it, make sure to pay close attention to the battery. Bales going from the motor to the controller. Mine weren’t quite long enough, had to replace them. Luckily before any damage was done to my brand new alltrax
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:12 PM   #16
a65l
Not Yet Wild

Just 2 cents on the battery, if you're going lithium, make sure you can get your choice in a timely fashion. A lot of places are back ordered. I was tending to Roypow, but couldn't find anyone with one in stock. Even Allied lithium, from them anyway, was going to be a month or more before delivery. I did go with Allied, but I ordered from Plowman's, as he had them in stock and I had them in hand in 2 or 3 days.
a65l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:50 PM   #17
cclocke
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey guys, quick update on my cart. I've installed the rear flip seat and am currently working on the SGC lift kit, which I aeem to be having a problem with.

After installing the front suspension, the tie rod is very close to the frame, and if I make a wide left turn on the steering wheel, the tie rod rubs against the frame slightly.

I've attached a couple photos showing the problem and potential reasons. One thing I'm concerned about is the tie rod ball joints aren't flush against the spindle. I tried to hammer them down with a mallet for a couple minutes, but what you see attached is where I'm at.

My second concern is that I didn't reuse some of the original hardware that I was maybe supposed to. The SGC instructions said to retain the hardware from removing the spindle. However, when installing the new spindle it didn't mention anything about the old hardware. Specifically, I've attached a pic of a couple washers that I'm wondering would have boosted the tie rod up enough to avoid the frame.

Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to fix it? Honestly I'm not sure how big of a deal this is, but Im worried I may have messed something up that could lead to bigger issues and just want to get it right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_035855483.jpg (115.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_035937860.jpg (99.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_040002808.jpg (150.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_040036631.jpg (240.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220127_040642588.NIGHT.jpg (169.9 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car