lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2022, 10:17 PM   #1
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

Smile Alltrax SR 48500 set up for 2001 Club car 48v DS

Hi all. I have listed what's on my cart below. I'm just wondering if any of you are running an Alltraxx SR48500 controller on a club car DS. I currently finished getting a new build running thanks to a lot of help here! My red hawk motor is rated at 10 peak horse power. The Alltraxx is a 500amp programmable controller. Im seeing about 20 mph on flat road. Does anyone have any set up advice for this controller?

2001 48v Club car DS

Stock rear end
New Interstate golf cart batteries
All new cables
Heavy duty forward /Reverse switch
ModZ Club car 4 gauge complete Battery cable set
Red Hawk MOT-A1 motor
Heavy duty Solenoid
500 Amp Alltraxx series controller SR48500
23x10x14in tire and rim set up
6” SGC Double A arm lift kit
smally1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2022, 10:27 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax SR 48500 set up for 2001 Club car 48v DS

I assume by red hawk mot a1 you mean admiral mot a1

I had nearly an identical setup on a 2001 DS a few years ago, except an alltrax sr48400. same lift even, but I was running 25” tires, and 1/0 wires (it’s what I had laying around). I did have an MCOR4 but don’t think that would affect performance…

It would do nearly 30mph on flat pavement and spin the tires on dirt and pavement. I’m grass it would hook up too hard to spin, but nearly lift the fronts off the ground. Not quite, but almost. If I had done lithium in that cart and lost 300lbs like my current DS I think it would have popped wheelies.

I don’t think I ever tuned or did anything with the controller though, just ran it like it came out of the box.

20mph seems low, mine did 22-23mph on stock tires before I lifted it. If everything on your cart is new maybe it needs to break in a bit? Possibly could not be seeing full throttle as well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41CF298D-34B1-4623-9E42-9935B167900A.jpg (316.9 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:34 PM   #3
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

Thanks man, yeah i'm not sure.Battery bank is all new. yes the Red Hawk is just what they are calling that Admiral motor. It seems at bit low to me as well. This is literally day one on this motor. Do they change that much after break in ? You can set up the torque and speed curves with the controller software. I hope I can get a bit more out of her.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #4
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

Im am running 4 gauge cables They are new its what I had. Do you think a 2 would help ?
Old 01-23-2022, 10:39 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally1989 View Post
Thanks man, yeah i'm not sure.Battery bank is all new. yes the Red Hawk is just what they are calling that Admiral motor. It seems at bit low to me as well. This is literally day one on this motor. Do they change that much after break in ? You can set up the torque and speed curves with the controller software. I hope I can get a bit more out of her.
I don’t see any reason you shouldn’t be getting more. I was getting 22-23 on 18” tires. What is it set at? Make sure nothing is limited, and Make sure it is seeing 100% throttle or that’s going to limit you as well.

I’d assume once the brushes break in on the motor a bit it will improve. Same for the batteries, I’ve never bought brand new lead batteries but from what I’ve come to understand it takes 15-20 use/charge cycles before you start seeing 100% out of those as well.

Where did you get the stuff from?
Old 01-23-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Im am running 4 gauge cables They are new its what I had. Do you think a 2 would help ?
I’d run it hard for 20 minutes and feel the cables. If they feel warm then I’d upgrade to bigger. I’d they’re not getting warm they should be fine. I only used 1/0 because it’s what I had lots of floating around. And it’s easier to work with than the 4/0 I also have laying around
Old 01-23-2022, 10:48 PM   #7
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

Had a guy over at Golf Cart king put the package together for me. The poor cart was shot and I mean shot. I basically replaced all I could with out going Lithium and AC. Im new to carts so I figured it was a good start. I will look at my set up and post. Id like to get all I can out of her. im only running down a paved path for the most part. We use it for Golf cart Booz Cruises around the neighborhood lol Its been a lot of fun to work on it so far. Do you know much about lithium batteries. Do they make that much of a difference?
Old 01-23-2022, 11:16 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Had a guy over at Golf Cart king put the package together for me. The poor cart was shot and I mean shot. I basically replaced all I could with out going Lithium and AC. Im new to carts so I figured it was a good start. I will look at my set up and post. Id like to get all I can out of her. im only running down a paved path for the most part. We use it for Golf cart Booz Cruises around the neighborhood lol Its been a lot of fun to work on it so far. Do you know much about lithium batteries. Do they make that much of a difference?
I have a 2008 DS now but I went simple lithium and went with the allied 48v drop in batteries. I’m perfectly capable of building a custom leaf pack but frankly don’t have the time nor desire.

I can say switching my DS from lead to lithium made a huge difference. My cart is basically stock with just a speed magnet. It would do 22ish mph on flat pavement before the swap and now does around 25mph. Made a big difference in acceleration as well because it’s so much lighter.

That’s really not the reason I switched to lithium though. I mainly switched because I don’t want the hassle of battery maintenance. Corrosion, watering, constant charging, etc. lithium has absolutely none of that. Just run it, and charge it when it gets low.

There’s a lot of guys on here with way, way more experience with lithium stuff than me. If you’re leaning or interested in learning that direction, check the lithium section in this forum and there’s a ton of information.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #9
smally1989
Not Yet Wild

Will do. I've put about all I can in this one for now. It looks great and were really going to enjoy it. Of course its just like anything else. Once you really get into it you start to see where you made your mistakes as well as all the cool things you can do.My brakes were just re done so I know there's not any excessive drag there. I'm going to run her everyday for the next week and see how she does. I will also contact Alltrax and see what they recommend. This little car is quickly becoming an obsession lol
Old 01-24-2022, 04:53 PM   #10
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

It's quite common for the throttle linkage in a DS to wear resulting in MCOR signal never reaching 100%. I suggest you download the Alltrax Toolkit onto a laptop and monitor throttle signal when you drive to see if you are getting 100%.
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allraxx sr48500, club car ds, red hawk motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car