lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #1
SlowBro
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 48v Club car DS not going forward

When I bought this cart, it didn't move at all. It was sold as " no reverse." After replacing brake cables and batteries, the cart was moving in forward only. Did some quick research and bought a new F n R lever. Forward and reverse worked just fine after that. Few months later, reverse goes out again. Replace the lever again and it worked fine for a week. Then goes out again. This time I warrantied the lever. Got the replacement and it's working fine. 8 months later I notice that in forward it was doing some short stutters. Now forward doesn't work at all a few days later. I do hear a click when I try to go forward.

Is it my F n R lever again?

2000 Club car ds 48v lead acid battery. I believe its a stock motor.
This cart has the actually lever you have to move back fourth. Not the lil switch.
SlowBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2000 48v Club car DS not going forward

If replacing the F/R switch that many times fixed the problem each time, then yes, it is your F/R switch again.

HOWEVER, you need to find out what is causing high current draw through your switch. Likely the contacts are getting burned from too much current draw caused by a bad connection elsewhere in your system.

A defective motor or loose motor wiring, bad solenoid, or loose connections at the solenoid or controller. These all need to be checked before you install a new F/R switch.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #3
SlowBro
Not Yet Wild

Ok. Thanks!

I'll check the rest of the connections tomorrow. I did check all the battery connections today and they were all tight.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:28 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

here is a complete illustrated parts list for your cart , page 126 is a complete electrical schematic and 128 is the breakdown of the F/R switch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2000 Illustrated Parts List.pdf (9.63 MB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #5
SlowBro
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
here is a complete illustrated parts list for your cart , page 126 is a complete electrical schematic and 128 is the breakdown of the F/R switch
Thank you. Handy to have.

I took the F n R switch out and took a multi meter to everything on it. Everything seems to be metering fine. Took it to a local cart place thinking maybe they could test it. They said there is no way to test it and they wanted $216 for a new one. Told them I would think about and went home to look things over. I have check every nut on the electrical side of things and everything is tight. Put the switch back in and now everything works. Now the next day it's doing the same thing. Won't move forward. Any way to bypass the switch temporarily to see if that's the problem?
Old 01-30-2022, 03:25 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Does it go in reverse?

I don’t think you have a bad switch. I suspect replacing or removing the switch was coincidence. I’d suspect a solenoid or controller issue. Just because the solenoid clicks doesn’t mean it’s making contact internally. Check the M+ and M- outputs with a meter coming out of the controller
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 04:01 PM   #7
SlowBro
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Does it go in reverse?

I don’t think you have a bad switch. I suspect replacing or removing the switch was coincidence. I’d suspect a solenoid or controller issue. Just because the solenoid clicks doesn’t mean it’s making contact internally. Check the M+ and M- outputs with a meter coming out of the controller
Am I checking for voltage here? Before and after pedal press?

BTW It does go in reverse
Old 01-30-2022, 06:06 PM   #8
SlowBro
Not Yet Wild

Ok. I get voltage on the M- and B + off the controller in reverse but nothing when in forward.
Old 01-31-2022, 04:19 PM   #9
SlowBro
Not Yet Wild

I've been going through testing every wire on this thing. They meter fine. Now it will move forward once every 10 tries. When it goes forward it we'll just keep going until I let off the pedal. Would this be the solenoid? If the solenoid was bad would it do the same thing I'm reverse?
Old 01-31-2022, 04:59 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
Ok. I get voltage on the M- and B + off the controller in reverse but nothing when in forward.
Are you testing this directly at the controller itself? Is the controller seeing the input from the pedal microswitch? Does this have microswitches in the FNR or no?

Id suspect that you either have a bad signal wire from one of the microswitches, or bad controller. Id go through the entire system carefully with a meter and check everything before replacing anything else. There’s wiring diagrams in the sticky section here to help you.

Regardless I do not believe it’s another bad FNR. I doubt it was the FNR to begin with, just coincidence
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car