lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2022, 06:05 PM   #1
LakewayIcon
Not Yet Wild

Default Activating "Low Speed Mode" / installing the switch

In the programming software there are fields that reference Low Speed Mode. There is a max rpm for high speed and a max rpm for low speed.

It is my understanding that the controller is designed to give the option to install a Low/High switch that will select which of the max RPM settings will be applied.

So I would have to wire a switch, but I have no idea where to run it to. I am assuming it would be to close a set of jumpers on the controller.

Does anyone have any experience? Or can anyone confirm that I am wrong and this is impossible and I can stop trying to figure it out.
LakewayIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Activating "Low Speed Mode" / installing the switch

Yes, that is correct. The controller has provision for a low speed mode however icon did not opt to take advantage of it. It can be added and IT will work. It involves adding a pin to the main 35pin connector for the controller and hooking it up to a toggle switch. Once the switch is added you need the programming cord and software (which sounds like you have). With that you need to go in the programming and enable the low speed mode input. Then set your limits for the low speed mode. this is referenced as (LSM) in the software. The vehicle is obviously in HSM by default as it is the ONLY mode it is configured for. I have the part number for the tyco pins needed and have the parameter changes that need to be made written down somewhere. Josh (__JAG__) has done this modification with success and it is verified working. It is possible but a rather advanced modification for most users. I am working on a 100% plug and play version for the ICON/LVTong vehicles and hope to have it tested in the next month or so…
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
LakewayIcon
Not Yet Wild

I am pretty proficient, and not very afraid to make electrical Mods. I swapped out the programming connector to a standard serial connector so I could use a standard serial cable instead of the modified one they require. If you really are close to having something I could just buy in the next 30 days, I would be tempted to do less work and just buy it. But I would also be interested in any detailed instructions about which pin I need to access in the connector. Also what do I do when I access it? Are there two pins I need to connect together to activate Low Speed? Or is it one pin that I need to give 5v to? Or give it ground?
Any specifics from someone who has done it would be great. I like driving my i40FL at 35MPH but my kids think it's too fast and I would feel safer with them maxed out at 22 or so.
Old 07-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewayIcon View Post
I am pretty proficient, and not very afraid to make electrical Mods. I swapped out the programming connector to a standard serial connector so I could use a standard serial cable instead of the modified one they require. If you really are close to having something I could just buy in the next 30 days, I would be tempted to do less work and just buy it. But I would also be interested in any detailed instructions about which pin I need to access in the connector. Also what do I do when I access it? Are there two pins I need to connect together to activate Low Speed? Or is it one pin that I need to give 5v to? Or give it ground?
Any specifics from someone who has done it would be great. I like driving my i40FL at 35MPH but my kids think it's too fast and I would feel safer with them maxed out at 22 or so.
If you are comfortable adding a pic to the factory controller plug, then its pretty easy. Just order a pin, crimp to wire, insert into connector and then program. I like driving in high speed on the road down to the gas station and get shaved ice with the fam. But my kids don't need to drive that fast in the neighborhood.

Low/High Speed Mode:

This is enabled by wiring up 12V to pin 2 on the controller. Apply 0V, factory, enables High speed mode. Applying 12V, enables Low speed mode.

You will need to be logged in as Super to see these parameters.
You will need to set:
03.03.02 (Low High Spd Switch Mode) = 1
Then use the following to control the low speeds:
03.02.05 - Vehicle Fwd Speed (LSM) = 32.1(20mph)
03.02.06 - Vehicle Rev Speed (LSM) = 8.5 (5.2mph)
__JAG__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
derelicte
Gone Wild

Does the hs/ls accel time work correctly when you use the switch? What i mean is, does the ls accel time control acceleration time for both ls and hs mode like it does without the switch? I'd like it if the low speed mode didn't accelerate as quickly.

Did you get the 12v from the dc/dc converter or is there 12v provided by the controller for stuff like this?
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:11 PM   #6
LakewayIcon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post
Does the hs/ls accel time work correctly when you use the switch? What i mean is, does the ls accel time control acceleration time for both ls and hs mode like it does without the switch? I'd like it if the low speed mode didn't accelerate as quickly.

Did you get the 12v from the dc/dc converter or is there 12v provided by the controller for stuff like this?
The accel time is only 1 setting. There isn't a high accel and a low accel time. The value is seconds to get to max speed. So if you set to 6 it will take 6 seconds to get to 30mph in high and 6 seconds to get to 15mph in low.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
LakewayIcon
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by __JAG__ View Post
If you are comfortable adding a pic to the factory controller plug, then its pretty easy. Just order a pin, crimp to wire, insert into connector and then program. I like driving in high speed on the road down to the gas station and get shaved ice with the fam. But my kids don't need to drive that fast in the neighborhood.

Low/High Speed Mode:

This is enabled by wiring up 12V to pin 2 on the controller. Apply 0V, factory, enables High speed mode. Applying 12V, enables Low speed mode.

You will need to be logged in as Super to see these parameters.
You will need to set:
03.03.02 (Low High Spd Switch Mode) = 1
Then use the following to control the low speeds:
03.02.05 - Vehicle Fwd Speed (LSM) = 32.1(20mph)
03.02.06 - Vehicle Rev Speed (LSM) = 8.5 (5.2mph)

I am concerned, because I just saw a prior post on this topic from ATrain, and he said to connect the #2 pin to ground to activate Low Speed mode. You are saying to give it 12v not ground. Not saying Atrain is right or you are wrong, just wanting to double check that you have done it and that 12v is what it takes.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:21 PM   #8
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Quote:
The accel time is only 1 setting. There isn't a high accel and a low accel time. The value is seconds to get to max speed. So if you set to 6 it will take 6 seconds to get to 30mph in high and 6 seconds to get to 15mph in low.
That is not correct. There is Accel and Decel parameters for High speed mode.
06.02.02 through 06.02.15
And separate Accel and Decel parameters for Low Speed mode
06.02.20 through 06.02.23

Note: The low speed mode parameters for Accel and Decel are only visible if logged in as Super.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:22 PM   #9
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by derelicte View Post

See my other post on the Accel and Decel.

I pulled 12v from the spare fuse on the fuse block under the dash.
Old 07-11-2022, 03:25 PM   #10
__JAG__
Getting Wild

Quote:
I am concerned, because I just saw a prior post on this topic from ATrain, and he said to connect the #2 pin to ground to activate Low Speed mode. You are saying to give it 12v not ground. Not saying Atrain is right or you are wrong, just wanting to double check that you have done it and that 12v is what it takes.
I know the Icon LVTong controller uses 12V for its inputs. I believe, but not sure, but I believe the older Toyota controller used a GND for its inputs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon