lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #11
sean31
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Trojan 48V lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Hi Sean, Most batteries out there are LiFePO4 as well. Only UNO and Big Battery have offerings using NMC which is more susceptible to thermal runaway and hence fire. How do you know the BMS’s are more robust? Many other offerings use proprietary BMS’s that are just as good. I do agree with the comment about being an established manufacturer though.

I don’t believe the Trojan lithiums are any “safer” than any other LiFePO4 battery out there.

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to clear up misinformation, which there is plenty of when it comes to lithium batteries.
So full disclosure, I am and have been in the battery business for 30 years (stationary power). I have a working relationship with most manufacturers. In speaking with engineers from trojan they have told me the product is engineered for safety. the cells are being manufactured by a 3rd party (Lead acid manufacturers aren't set up to do this yet) and that company has been vetted by them and approved for use. At this point I am putting my trust in them and assuming they aren't wanting to damage a reputation built over almost 100 years. It's quite possible the "other" manufacturers out there are as good but I chose Trojan due the aforementioned info. Not all manufacturers are the same, even in the lead acid world.
sean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2023, 03:27 PM   #12
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I wish these guys would disclose who is manufacturing their Lithium Cells. As far as I know there are no Lithium cell manufacturers in the US except for Tesla - and their plant is run by Panasonic.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 04:48 PM   #13
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

If they’re using quality cells it will be one if the big two…CATL or EVE.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:38 PM   #14
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
I wish these guys would disclose who is manufacturing their Lithium Cells. As far as I know there are no Lithium cell manufacturers in the US except for Tesla - and their plant is run by Panasonic.
I thought Panasonic pulled away from Tesla a few years ago? I know they pulled out of solar production at the tesla plant in Buffalo

I believe there is a lithium manufacturer in Idaho.. at least one came up when I googled it a couple months back when researching the uno pack..

I dont believe theres any indication or claims the trojan lithium batteries are made in the USA.. im willing to bet they are made in china as Sean indicated.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:46 PM   #15
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Kind of random but I still find it odd that most of us refer to say 4 AA "cells" in a radio wired in series as batteries, but we dont think of the 3.2v Cells as the batteries until they are wired together in a series.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:45 PM   #16
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Just saw a Panasonic blurb about the new Tesla cells today. As far as I know, Panasonic is running the battery factory in the US for Tesla. But Tesla also uses other (Chinese?) cells in some cars. (Not as good as the Panasonic cells from what I have read)
Old 05-10-2023, 10:15 PM   #17
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Just saw a Panasonic blurb about the new Tesla cells today. As far as I know, Panasonic is running the battery factory in the US for Tesla. But Tesla also uses other (Chinese?) cells in some cars. (Not as good as the Panasonic cells from what I have read)
a friend was just telling me he was watching an interview with Elon and he was saying he wants to continue to shift more towards lifepo4.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:41 PM   #18
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Kind of random but I still find it odd that most of us refer to say 4 AA "cells" in a radio wired in series as batteries, but we dont think of the 3.2v Cells as the batteries until they are wired together in a series.
Technically, a cell is a single unit device. A battery is a group of two or more cells.

A 12v lead acid battery is actually 6 x 2v lead acid cells. The line gets blurry when we speak about single cell consumer batteries like the AA battery. Technically it’s a cell, not a battery. But when you put 4 of them in your device, as per your example, they become a battery.

When it comes to the lithium batteries we talk about here, there’s no ambiguity to it, the bits inside are cells, not batteries, and the complete unit is a battery, not a cell.

You’re an electronics guy like me Augiedoggy, ever noticed when reading a circuit diagram that depicts a battery, it’s always drawn as two or more cells, never just one.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:20 AM   #19
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
a friend was just telling me he was watching an interview with Elon and he was saying he wants to continue to shift more towards lifepo4.
Yes. Especially for the Teslas built in China. They are partnered with LG as well as Panasonic. I think they are starting to build their own cells too. (the new 4680 cells) They are still using 21700 cells in their higher priced longer range builds. My Model Y has 21700's.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:23 PM   #20
sean31
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
I do know they are comprised of cylindrical cells. There are quite a few manufacturers in South Korea also making these. Not just China
sean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO