lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2023, 07:31 PM   #1
nzhorsey78
Not Yet Wild

Default 1990 DS Gas Engine Siezed- what are my options?

Firstly, thank you so much to all you legends who both take the time and so generously share your experience and wisdom, I mean it…. THANK YOU!

I’m in a little strife. My 1990 Club Car DS engine, has just seized and needs to be either replaced or completely rebuilt. It had zero oil and it is totally my fault. We are in the process of taking it out so we can really have a look and see what it needs.

Kawasaki CODE: FZ340D-LS03
Еng #: KF82D172801

Can anyone please point me in the right direction? I don’t have a lot of mechanical knowledge, but with the right YouTube Tutorial who knows😊

Anyway, love some suggestions. Do I get a replacement engine? Where can I get them from? Do I try to find a second hand engine (they’re as rare as hens teeth here in Sydney). Or is there a rebuild kit you can buy to rebuild it from the ground up.

Thanks in advance!
nzhorsey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2023, 07:10 AM   #2
Bassdeer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1990 DS Gas Engine Siezed- what are my options?

I'm no help but to say the guys on here are the best. But when my motor goes I'm putting in a Predator 420
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #3
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are many options in the US for engine rebuilders who even specialize in golf cart engines, but I don't know if you have any such options there in Australia. I don't believe you have the ready option of a Harbor Freight Predator there either. Shipping to and from the US would undoubtedly cost more than the engine itself. If the connecting rod seized to the crankshaft the issue becomes the lack of availability of the crankshaft for those old flathead engines. Again we have places in the US that rebuild (weld / re-machine) those, but I'm not certain what is available near you. There may be more availability there than I would know of. That engine is a Kawasaki KF-82, so you might even have options there we do not here. It is a counter clockwise turning engine, so most other small engines do turn the same direction.

Last edited by meimk; 05-11-2023 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: typo
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:32 AM   #4
Ok_natem
Not Yet Wild

Just did a 459 Predator “resto-mod” on a ‘90 DS gas. FYI, more stuff available for the 420 at this time but the 459 is awesome. Run a governor and add seat belts too.
Ok_natem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 04:08 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I would think china exports to down there too what ever they might call the 420-460 clone. I would bet the Honda 390's are there as well. Aussie speed makes tons of clone parts. I have one of their valve covers on my VC460. Can't imagine there not being a whole lot of minibikers and gokarts with the need for speed. P.S. It looks like the predators are called titans in NZ
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:03 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I had the same thing happen, coincidentally with a 1990 Club Car. Had the KF82 engine apart to replace the plastic camshaft gear that broke free from it's rivets, put it back together...and totally forgot to put the oil back in. Made it about 200 feet up the street and it froze up. This happened about three years ago, in 2020.

The fix cost me about $250. I removed the crankshaft and bought a new connecting rod. I sent both the crank and the new rod to J&M Golf Carts out of Georgia (here in the United States) and they machined my crank and rod together. Put the motor back together and been running great ever since.

I would think that there would be a machine shop that could handle such a job down there in Oz?
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #7
Scooter Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzhorsey78 View Post

Anyway, love some suggestions. Do I get a replacement engine? Where can I get them from? Do I try to find a second hand engine (they’re as rare as hens teeth here in Sydney).
I just posted this thread, might be what you're looking for in a stock replacement, but not positive...

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=189775
Scooter Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 01:17 PM   #8
simpledeb24
Not Yet Wild

I did the same thing and I was able to find the connecting rod and gaskets online, don't remember what site it was but it cost me about $200-$250 to fix. The motor runs great except for a popping noise but I think it might be the clutch that is my next investment.
simpledeb24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
club car, engine, gas, replacement, siezed
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car