lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2023, 08:13 PM   #1
bigplow
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Ge gray motor with scotty b upgrade

Wanting to get rid of these resistor coils and go to better system looking at scotty b c42 kit really want to go to ac but I don't think my bidet will allow so this is my second option but I seen I had the grey motor and don't here good things about it also upgrading to 48v what do you all recommend I have back seat and going with 14 and low pro tires some hills and trails but mild

96 ds cart
bigplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2023, 08:33 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Ge gray motor with scotty b upgrade

I’d recommend doing an IQ upgrade at www.revolutiongolfcars.com as this gives you a factory IQ system so you can upgrade to AC later seamlessly if you decide.

IQ upgrade and a speed magnet even with the stock gray motor will give you 22-24mph and nice torque upgrade compared with stock series setup
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 10:38 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I recommend going the route you have chosen for the lowest conversion cost.

Alternatively I recommend to go with a scottyb IQ conversion kit. This unique kit with complete wire harness and motor allows for 36v operation now and 48v operation later. See more info here > https://www.cartsunlimited.net/iq-conversion.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:28 AM   #4
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I have the grey GE motor in my 93 yamaha g8.. I upgraded it to 48v with a curtis clone controller and it does 20mph with no issues. I do have a diy lithium battery. I also have a back seat and 20" tires. the lithium battery weighs about 300 pounds less than lead acid so maybe thats why it works so well for me? Had a bunch of passengers this weekend and had no problems.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:53 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Lowest conversion cost? An OEM club car IQ kit with MCOR4 is under $500. If you already have a GE IQ motor that’ll work for now, if not you can find used stock motors for relatively cheap either on here or Facebook marketplace. I got a nice GE on here for like $100 I think. and a used OEM curtis IQ controller will usually run you around $100-150.

You’ll need 48v batteries and charger but if you plan to eventually go AC anyway, you’ll need those anyway. David can get you a speed magnet for that old GE also.

I’d personally take an OEM setup o er aftermarket any day if the week. Especially if you plan on AC down the road, lot of wasted money on an admiral and an alltrax. And if I was going to do a motor and controller upgrade anyway, I’d go AC right out of the chute. The difference is huge compared to a modified DC cart.

Going the OEM route will basically turn your old cart into the exact same thing you’d get if it came as an IQ cart from the factory. From there literally any newer model IQ upgrades are plug and play.

I think the stock motor and controller will get you by just fine until you get the funds for AC. When my cart was still lead acid, and running stock controller, gray GE motor, and only upgrade was a $30 speed magnet it would run 22-23mph with both the front and back seats loaded
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 07:57 PM   #6
bigplow
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the input gives me options my gray ge motor is the stock 96 resistor cart motor so I would have to get a motor either way and I already have 48v batteries
Old 05-30-2023, 09:02 PM   #7
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplow View Post
Thanks for the input gives me options my gray ge motor is the stock 96 resistor cart motor so I would have to get a motor either way and I already have 48v batteries
exactly.. so if your going ac now you need another motor, otherwise you can go 48v dc with the current motor using any series type 48v controller and solenoid. and than upgrade it all later when you go ac (If your intent is to convert to AC later... I dont know what your budget is at the moment but for reference I have about $230 invested in my 500amp controller and 400amp solenoid I bought off ebay new.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:41 PM   #8
bigplow
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I found a 1505 controller and solenoid but will I need a new throttle box like a pb-6 I have a v glide now would like to do away with that
Old 06-04-2023, 07:31 PM   #9
Reuter5
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey, we have a 99 DS. It had the resistor coils. We went through Scotty and did the C42 upgrade. BEST DECISION WE MADE!
Reuter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:41 PM   #10
bigplow
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cool good to hear I really don’t want to spend the money on a motor hoping to go to ac next year but just want a better system for now do a lot of slow driving at a couple camp grounds and tractor shows 5mph or less trying to stay around 500dollars at this point
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car