lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2008, 05:00 PM   #1
Barry
Not Yet Wild

Default Bad intake valve on a '94 EZGO

Hi,

I had bad compression on one side and the intake valve lap had completely disappeared on both sides. After adjusting the valve lap, the compression increased but was still low on one side. I removed the head to find that the intake valves had worn. They were paper thin. The valve on the low compression side was worn worse than the other. I've included pics of it below.

I figured someone might like to see what the valves look like after they wear out. The edge was worn so thin, it was beginning to curl.

Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03045-cropped.jpg (61.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03047-cropped.jpg (51.6 KB, 26 views)
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #2
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Default Re: Bad intake valve on a '94 EZGO

Mr. Barry I belive you will be very happy with your performance increase with the new intakes .

Those are pretty bad , Usually you run out of threads left on the adjustment screw before they reach that point. Very impressive though
Bob-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
caddymankc
WILD

E-Z-GO

Replace all valves with the newer valves and keepers(if it has the one piece retainer keepers) Does the head need the valve seats fixed? I think with them being that bad the seats would need to be fixed.
caddymankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I've never seen one that bad, they usually stop running long before that.
I would recut the seats anyway, You don't want to risk new valves when you're in it that far already.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
Barry
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
I've never seen one that bad, they usually stop running long before that.
I would recut the seats anyway, You don't want to risk new valves when you're in it that far already.
Do you need to use some special EZGO valve seat cutter?? Or can I have this done at the local small engine repair shop?? I don't own a valve seat cutter and I doubt anyone around here has one from EZGO.

Barry
Old 04-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
Do you need to use some special EZGO valve seat cutter?? Or can I have this done at the local small engine repair shop?? I don't own a valve seat cutter and I doubt anyone around here has one from EZGO.

Barry
Hi Barry,

Yes, the E-Z-GO Valve Seat Cutter is part number 72516-G01. Retail is probably close to $300.00.

It looks like it is mainly a carbon buildup in the seats, with the softer valves being run at high rpm for a long time frame.... Just a guesstamate though

Bob
Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
Barry
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-0 View Post
Hi Barry,

Yes, the E-Z-GO Valve Seat Cutter is part number 72516-G01. Retail is probably close to $300.00.

It looks like it is mainly a carbon buildup in the seats, with the softer valves being run at high rpm for a long time frame.... Just a guesstamate though

Bob
$300?? haha It looks like the valves will just be lapped in with lapping compound then. As far as I know, the last EZGO dealer in town moved out a few years back. The seats didn't look to bad to me, although I haven't inspected them thouroughly.

The governor is still intact on this cart so the RPM's were never higher than recommended. It did get it's fair share of use though, with not much rest between rides.

Thanks for the info.

Barry
Old 04-22-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Bob-0
Gone Wild

Barry,

Just so you know... thats $300 for a kit

Sorry I didn't say that earlier, and sorry for any confusion that may have had.

Does the govenor have a thin wire through the hole in the back of the gov. spring shaft?

Bob
Old 04-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Barry
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-0 View Post
Barry,

Just so you know... thats $300 for a kit

Sorry I didn't say that earlier, and sorry for any confusion that may have had.

Does the govenor have a thin wire through the hole in the back of the gov. spring shaft?

Bob
Now I am confused. haha $300 for the valve seat cutter kit, right?? I thought that's what you meant. I was just laughing in the earlier post because there's no way I'm spending that much to do this job once.

As for the wire. I'm assuming you're talking about the anti-tamper wire, which has the lead sinker on it? Yes, it's still there. Unfortunately, the wire loop is no longer intact, so I can't be 100% sure that the gov wasn't adjusted. But the wire may have broken from vibration.

I don't think this cart goes over 15mph. My brother's always complaining that it's slower than his previous 2PG cart.

I've placed the order for the top end rebuild kit. Now I just need to wait for its arrival. The weather is finally beginning to cooperate around here. I also ordered a new timing belt as well.

Barry
Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Call your local small engine repair shop, they will have a seat cutting kit. check the angle on your new valves and ask them if they can cut it. Most have the Neway brand and unless they order additional heads will only be able to cut the standard Briggs angles. But they might be the same. If you take your block in with valves out it should only take 10 minutes to do but most shops have minimum labor charges.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO