lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
TheOldMan
Not Yet Wild

Default Clone valve rattle

Do all the GX390 clones have a loud exhaust rattle? The first one I purchased was so loud, I called the seller and was allowed to exchange it. The second one rattles just as bad. Valve lash is set at .004, but when the engine is not a tdc, the rocker arms rattle all over the place, like there is a part missing. Engine sounds good with the stock muffler and gas tank installed, but removing the tank and installing a good muffler, it really rattles. Anybody else have this problem?
TheOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Clone valve rattle

Does it have the pushrod guide plate in it? I've not had that issue, they make a little noise but nothing out of the ordinary. I always adjust them at the lowest place they never get looser than .004. In fact one I set it larger so the comp release comes in at a lower idle. You can usually set them at 0 lash the cart guys do, they say they grow larger when warm anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
TheOldMan
Not Yet Wild

I don't know if the guide plate is there or not. The parts breakdown in the owners manual is so bad I can't realy see what it's supposed to look like. I'll pull the cover today and see what I can see. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Oldman,I've had 3 clones & they all rattle,if it goes away when you gas it don't worry.My present one is a CS 420 with a 340 head,hd springs ,jetted carb & billet flywheel,I don't run a fuel pump,gravity feed & haven't had a problem on the trails yethookm
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
TheOldMan
Not Yet Wild

I'm running an electric fuel pump and a pressure regulator, because the gas tank is mounted outside the frame and lower than the carb. Had a little trouble flooding, but installed an extra filter between the regulator and the carb, and turned the fuel pressure down to 1 p.s.i.. So far so good. Have to watch it for a while.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I plan to put a long hose on the pulse from the valve cover to the yamaha pump. If it floods then I will put a little gokart pump on it as the G9 pump is larger for sure.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I ran the clone last weekend for a while after I wound the secondary tighter. It goes better now. All I can hear is some valvetrain clicking and its not very loud. I hear no rattles. It is pretty common in lawn engines but far from objectionable, so I don't know what you guys are hearing. You can run the lash at zero the race guys do it all the time as it opens when it gets hot, set it zero cold. It might make the comp release a little more apparent if you run it at low idle. Is your pushrod guide ok and lined up?
Old 09-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I got mine running and I don't hear a rattle. All I hear different from the stock engine is a little valvetrain noise and need to have the seat up or be down low next to the cart to hear it. Its like a "shing shing shing" sound for lack of words.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
sassycat
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

didnt wanna start another thread..so here goes.
does my honda gx390 supposed to have a push rod guide plate?
my rockers rattle like crazy when start up,,then when i rev it a lil the noise stops..then let idle a few and the rattle starts again..i understand they tap a lil but the valve lash is at .005 and the rockers move so far side to side by hand it just dont seem normal?
guide plate wouldnt effect this tho correct?
seems like the half ball thats in the center holding them down"if thats what they are,,like a old chevy" seems like maybe there worn allowing so much side to side movment..just seems to noisy compared to my craftsman lawn mower lol
sassycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My clone has a guide plate, not sure on the Honda would think so.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps