lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
TonyK2675
Not Yet Wild

Default 48v conversion question

I have a 88 ezgo freedom, can i convert to 48v(8- 6v batteries). I have done a lot of searches and not found the right info, I am new to golf carts. It is a stock cart. Can I just add the last two batteries in line. Any pics or directions would be great. Thanks Tony
TonyK2675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48v conversion question

It is easiest to install the two extra batteries in the bagwell and cable them up like this diagram. You will need a 48v controller, solenoid, & charger. Additionally you will need to beef up the cables and the F&R.
Search around a little lots of members have gone this route.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture 48v TXT.jpg (98.8 KB, 10 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
TonyK2675
Not Yet Wild

Where is the best place to get a controler and solenoid. Is this a whoth while conversion.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

An 88 ezgo is a resistor coil cart, so you are looking at bringing the drive system into the 21st century. If you like the cart it can be a very good option towards making it a more serviceable unit.

Lots of members have converted Ezgo and CC from resistor coils to solid state controllers.
Heck, I did for one old customer because he was burning up a speed wiper board every year on his steep property.

Simple controller pkgs start at $424 here http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
TonyK2675
Not Yet Wild

It has 24" tires and we drive it on our farm. Not crazy steep hills but there will be some.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
TonyK2675
Not Yet Wild

Some speed increase is good but tourqe is better.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
TonyK2675
Not Yet Wild

I read somewhere that u can just install the batteries and not change anything else. I guess not true.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
SHRINER
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

tony with any cart, the power system has to be able to handle the volts you put to it. you just can't put two more batteries in your cart and not expect the magic smoke to not come out from under the seat
SHRINER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It was good talking with you on the phone. I just want to post what we talked about for everybody who reads this.

Putting 48v in a 36v resistor cart is going to make it go faster with more torque, that is the good news. THe motor does respond well to the increase in voltage. The bad news is the speed wiper board and the resistor coils and solenoid will burn up..... just no telling when, it depends upon your usage. It may fry the solenoid on the test drive, or it may last a year and fry wide open full throttle. This can be very dangerous and we do not recommend you put 48v in a resistor coil cart.

The proper way to upgrade is to do a solid state speed control conversion. This is a safe system with all the benefits of modern speed control and updated controllers & aftermarket motors!

Happy carting
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO