lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-05-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Bubba78
Not Yet Wild

Default Rear end sound.

Hey everyone!

First, I want to say thanks. Everyone here is always so helpful and have helped me with lots of projects.

I’m getting some rear end sound. From reading here I’m thinking rear bearing on the motor. It doesn’t make the sound with full throttle but more when the gas is half way down and it’s reached speed. I have a video but I can’t upload it here.

It’s a 1995 club car ds 48 volt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bubba78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Rear end sound.

I am assuming we are speaking of a Series cart, but in either case, it could be a motor bearing; it could also be worn brushes that are starting to drag as they reach the end of their service life. Outside of that it would be axle bearings or brakes.

I like to jack up the rear and manually turn the differential while listening and feeling for the drag. I also use a stethoscope on the end bell and listen for bearing/brush noise. If nothing is heard, I then apply power at low RPM's while listening for the problem to occur and where it is at. From there it could be the guide ring so I pull it down and inspect.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Is it a chattering noise? Only happens when you don't have a load on the motor? If so, it's a bad guide ring. Part Number 101789101. The guide ring is a nylon "bushing" for lack of better description. It fits into the end of the output shaft of your motor and when the teeth wear out on them, they chatter.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Winston Ellis
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Is it a chattering noise? Only happens when you don't have a load on the motor? If so, it's a bad guide ring. Part Number 101789101. The guide ring is a nylon "bushing" for lack of better description. It fits into the end of the output shaft of your motor and when the teeth wear out on them, they chatter.
I have an 03 DS and I get the same noise, low speed until i step on the throttle. I have a plum quick bandit motor. Is this the same part?
Winston Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Ellis View Post
I have an 03 DS and I get the same noise, low speed until i step on the throttle. I have a plum quick bandit motor. Is this the same part?
A 2003 would not have a guide ring in the motor. A 2003 would have a solid steel shaft motor, in which case you would need to order the AM10039 Spring Centering Device kit. However, with it being a Plum Quick motor, it's possible it may be an older motor that they used as their buildable core. The best bet is to take the motor off and visually inspect the shaft to see if it's got a guide ring or not. Either way, there is a fix for it.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Bubba78
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply guys. Life sort of got in the way. Yes it's chattering when its half throttle and under no load. Once I press the gas lightly or to the floor it goes away. Think thats the problem TahoeDawg?
Old 07-04-2019, 01:28 PM   #7
Bubba78
Not Yet Wild

I uploaded a video of the sound if it will help!

https://vimeo.com/user100467242/revi...373/14a3777e06
Old 07-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba78 View Post
Sorry for the late reply guys. Life sort of got in the way. Yes it's chattering when its half throttle and under no load. Once I press the gas lightly or to the floor it goes away. Think thats the problem TahoeDawg?
Yes I think that's the problem. However, you need to pull the motor off to confirm that it's in fact a guide ring style motor. Lots of carts have had their motors replaced with newer motors. If it's a solid shaft motor, the guide ring won't fit. Your link isn't working.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
Bubba78
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Yes I think that's the problem. However, you need to pull the motor off to confirm that it's in fact a guide ring style motor. Lots of carts have had their motors replaced with newer motors. If it's a solid shaft motor, the guide ring won't fit. Your link isn't working.
Here's a question, What if I just take it out and dont replace it? Or is that an awful idea?

is it glued in place?
Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Don't do it. It's looking like motor replacement may be the option of the future. I don't have any more guide rings and I'm having a hard time getting more. I think they're in the discontinuation phase.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car