lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #11
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 96 Club Car DS 48V motor type confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Yep exactly. You’d be best off converting it to an IQ system. You’d just have to change out the wiring harness and controller, you could use your existing motor.
The motor has it's issues too. I broke a field stud off trying to remove the wires. There is enough thread left for me to add a coupling nut to it and use a bolt to reattach the wire. However, there was a ton of debris inside the motor and the two screws that hold the end bushing type thing are broken off. I tested F1 to F2 and there was continuity, however A1 to A2 and there was no continuity. However, it still spun when I jumpered everything and applied 12 volts directly to it (per the test listed on this site). I was considering contacting Plum Quick and seeing if it was a viable candidate for their Bandit upgrade but my lack of confidence in the contoller has prevented me from pulling the trigger.
NismoGriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #12
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I noticed that too, but I thought maybe this guy has had enough bad news for one day.
Quote:
Good catch guys, didn’t notice that...
That was my first mistake working on this cart. As i was holding the stud lock nut and turning the nut with a ratchet, I was thinking.... this feels like I should stop and clean up the threads.....SNAP!! Eff me lol!!
Old 06-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
The motor has it's issues too. I broke a field stud off trying to remove the wires. There is enough thread left for me to add a coupling nut to it and use a bolt to reattach the wire. However, there was a ton of debris inside the motor and the two screws that hold the end bushing type thing are broken off. I tested F1 to F2 and there was continuity, however A1 to A2 and there was no continuity. However, it still spun when I jumpered everything and applied 12 volts directly to it (per the test listed on this site). I was considering contacting Plum Quick and seeing if it was a viable candidate for their Bandit upgrade but my lack of confidence in the contoller has prevented me from pulling the trigger.
I strongly advise you forget about that controller and go another route.

You have a great platform cart that will last for decades.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #14
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
I see a repair done on one of the studs on that motor. That stud was probably broken off at some point and someone stuck a thread junction on there. It’s an OK idea for short term but I would have to wonder if that motor is just worn out by now. That’s probably a “guide ring” motor and they get a bit clunky and make some bad vibration when the guide ring wears out. It’s a decent motor, but that one may need some attention.
How much money ya got?

That extra red wire, does it look like it goes to a small fuse holder?
I don't see a fuse holder. It dives into the loom about 6 inches from the ring. I did a continuity check between the ring and any red wires on the solenoids, the OBC and all components located in the dash. I'm thinking it either goes to the controller or the MCOR (or whatever it is called on this cart) or it goes to one of the aforementioned things I checked continuity on but it's broken.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoGriff View Post
That was my first mistake working on this cart. As i was holding the stud lock nut and turning the nut with a ratchet, I was thinking.... this feels like I should stop and clean up the threads.....SNAP!! Eff me lol!!
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. We have all had stuff like that happen!
Old 06-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #16
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I strongly advise you forget about that controller and go another route.

You have a great platform cart that will last for decades.
Yeah, it seems I could buy a relatively good shape Precedent for what I would have into a motor, motor controller and batteries for this cart, but I am for some reason already really attached to this cart. I like the styling and the chassis looks like it is in very good shape! The wife wanted a cart for the campground (first year having a seasonal site) and I almost dropped $5K on lightly modded one at a local dealer. I found this on market place for $750 and figured that if I spent the same amount of money building this cart myself, I'd have a much nicer unit and I'd know way more about it. I can buy a relatively good shape Precedent for what I would have into a motor controller and batteries.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:14 PM   #17
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. We have all had stuff like that happen!
Yeah, I'm no stranger to those moments. When you work on old stuff, or build custom stuff, it happens. It just introduced one more unknown variable into this ugly equation
Old 06-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #18
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

If you like the cart, are handy, and have basic electrical knowledge, I say go for it. The DS’s are some of the best carts out there.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #19
NismoGriff
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
If you like the cart, are handy, and have basic electrical knowledge, I say go for it. The DS’s are some of the best carts out there.

Yeah. We might end up with a temporary cart that can be used while I build this one the way I'd like to.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:23 PM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car