lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #11
clubcarohio
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: All lights still work with key off and in tow mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The key switch circuit is not designed to provide power to accessories.

You either need to buy a converter that has a low current "trigger" wire for the key switch or install a relay if You already have a converter without a trigger wire.
I think I understand. The 'trigger' wire is typically the 5th wire that comes with some reducers, whereas most are just 4 wires....correct?
clubcarohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #12
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Some reducers have more than 5 wires but yes, the "trigger" wire uses very little current to activate and it will not overload the key switch circuit.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #13
clubcarohio
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Some reducers have more than 5 wires but yes, the "trigger" wire uses very little current to activate and it will not overload the key switch circuit.
Thanks
clubcarohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #14
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Functionally, the "trigger" wire in a five-wire reducer does the same job as adding a relay to a 4-wire reducer.

Think of the 5-wire reducer as being a 4-wire reducer with the functionality of a relay built-in. I talk about the functionality because it doesn't actually have a relay built in but it has additional electronic circuitry that does the same job.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:10 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would not say they are the same at all, a converter with a properly designed trigger wire circuit is the way to go as it does not cause a large spark and deteriorates the reducer capacitors with each ON/OFF cycle.

I think a better way to use a 4 wire converter would be to add the relay on the 12v output.

That allows You to have a switched 12v for accessories and a constant 12v output (for radios) like the expensive converters.

The "quiescent" current (when +12v output is off) on the 48v side would likely be a little more than the 5 wires converter when OFF, perhaps someone with a 4 wire converter can measure the input current when no accessories are connected to the 12v side and let us know that value.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #16
Buck162
Not Yet Wild

Just a update, got the relay installed today and everything works as I had hoped. Key switch now kills power to all lights. Thanks for the help.
Buck162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car