lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift

Like Sir Nuke, I started with and older cart (2008 PDS purchased in 2011), but didn't lift it because I didn't want to reduce the lateral stability by raising the center of gravity.

It does 28MPH at 42V on tires that are only 17" tall and runs out of traction before it runs out of torque on hills.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2014, 04:48 PM   #12
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Default Re: What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
well Camaro....I have a 2006 TXT Series Drive cart.....its Lifted, has bigger Wheels/Tires on it....I modified the drive system (with the help of ScottyB, you can see its spec's in my sig) so that it is totally dependable and will go anywhere I want/need to go....AND has a Top End of 27 mph, for now....and when I up the voltage to 48V when I get my next set of batteries....it will increase the torque and speed....the top end will be in the neighborhood of 35 mph.

SO.....it all depends on what you want to do.
Hey Sir Nuke,

I was taking a look at your specs. Could you break down the prices of your parts (just ball park it). I see you have raptor motor, new controller etc. Would like to know how much all of that costs when you break it down to give me an idea of what i need to spend. Then maybe i Could go with an older cart and save some money Thanks!
GotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
sunking
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRTPIT HC View Post
I would say the real question is, Why would you tell someone with ScottyB's experience and knowledge that his questions are irrelevant?
Because they were irrelevant.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Hi RXV tech here..

RXV's are programmable to 19.5 mph on stock(golf course) tires.
They will go @22-23 mph on oversize tires that fit under UN-Lifted cart.(minor inner fender well trim required)

I dont like lifted RXV's, I have seen some lifted RXV's with stability issues at high speed.

There are plenty of seat/top/trim accessories for RXV's.
There are no controller/motor upgrades. (for non engineering/programmer types)

The main problems with early (08/09) RXV's were:

1) battery problems. Caused by faulty battery watering systems and poor quality trojan 12v batts
2) brake problems Caused by faulty brake design (with handle)
3) repair issues Caused by lack of understanding of RXV operation.

Battery solution-- don't use bulk watering systems. Use high quality batteries.

brake problem: replace brake with new style (no handle).

repair issues--- consult BGW

Hope this helps!!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #15
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechRedNeck View Post
Hi RXV tech here..

RXV's are programmable to 19.5 mph on stock(golf course) tires.
They will go @22-23 mph on oversize tires that fit under UN-Lifted cart.(minor inner fender well trim required)

I dont like lifted RXV's, I have seen some lifted RXV's with stability issues at high speed.

There are plenty of seat/top/trim accessories for RXV's.
There are no controller/motor upgrades. (for non engineering/programmer types)

The main problems with early (08/09) RXV's were:

1) battery problems. Caused by faulty battery watering systems and poor quality trojan 12v batts
2) brake problems Caused by faulty brake design (with handle)
3) repair issues Caused by lack of understanding of RXV operation.

Battery solution-- don't use bulk watering systems. Use high quality batteries.

brake problem: replace brake with new style (no handle).

repair issues--- consult BGW

Hope this helps!!!

Thanks hightechrecneck,

I think RXV is def going to be the easiest to obtain the speed I want with the only modification that has to be done is have it programmed, and higher tires.

Why do you say you dont like RXV's lifted? Just because of the handling at high speed? or other reasons? I personally like the 'look' of the lifted golf carts, as well as the extra clearance when loading it on and off my truck. Stock height golf carts i am forced to back my truck up to a hill to get it off without issues.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Also are all RXV golf carts 48V? I feel like when shopping for golf carts I have seen 2008+ EZGOs that were 36v. Did they change all drives over to RXV in 2008? or did they still offer pds?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #17
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The issue RXV carts have with tall tires is their suspension. They are "coil over" front suspension designs intended to give the smoothest ride possible in a narrow, short wheel based vehicle. While accomplishing that, they made the cart very "roll" prone. Roll as in the body leans easier and farther than their leaf spring counter parts. When one adds increased right height, that roll is even more pronounced.
There are several solutions. All of them are going to make the cart ride more harshly. Stiffer coils will reduce roll. But they can make the cart feel like a solid suspension buckboard. If you want a lifted RXV, I would recommend a Jakes Long Travel Kit for the RXV. It will give you a new front suspension that not only lifts the cart, but also pushes the front wheel base out about 8 inches. That extra width greatly increases the carts stability. The rear portion of the kit is a set of lift blocks and cable extensions. Similar to what is found on the older model carts.

All RXV's, to my knowledge, are 48 volt. early one used 12 volt batteries. Newer ones use 8 volt sets. Ezgo still offered 36 volt carts for a few years after the intro of the RXV.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotaCamaro View Post
Also are all RXV golf carts 48V? I feel like when shopping for golf carts I have seen 2008+ EZGOs that were 36v. Did they change all drives over to RXV in 2008? or did they still offer pds?
I have what used to be a 2008 PDS and I know they made 36V PDS carts in 2009.
They introduced to 48V PDS carts in 2009 and are still make them today.
AC drives (RXV) were introduced in 2008.
I'm not sure of the timeline of carts with series drives.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
The issue RXV carts have with tall tires is their suspension. They are "coil over" front suspension designs intended to give the smoothest ride possible in a narrow, short wheel based vehicle. While accomplishing that, they made the cart very "roll" prone. Roll as in the body leans easier and farther than their leaf spring counter parts. When one adds increased right height, that roll is even more pronounced.
There are several solutions. All of them are going to make the cart ride more harshly. Stiffer coils will reduce roll. But they can make the cart feel like a solid suspension buckboard. If you want a lifted RXV, I would recommend a Jakes Long Travel Kit for the RXV. It will give you a new front suspension that not only lifts the cart, but also pushes the front wheel base out about 8 inches. That extra width greatly increases the carts stability. The rear portion of the kit is a set of lift blocks and cable extensions. Similar to what is found on the older model carts.

All RXV's, to my knowledge, are 48 volt. early one used 12 volt batteries. Newer ones use 8 volt sets. Ezgo still offered 36 volt carts for a few years after the intro of the RXV.

Yes-- at high speed, sudden turn with lifted RXV's can be "interesting"..
---20mph is fast on hilly/uneven roads (like where i am)--

All RXV's are 48v Carts.
2Five is basically RXV with disk brakes and "roadworthy" accessory package.
2Five uses 8v batteries.Rumor has it that 2Five battery tray fits in RXV.
Have not personally verified, cgtech may be able to help there.

The RXV converts the D.C. power from the batteries to
A.C. power to drive an A.C. motor.
The RXV Controller and wire harness is very reliable if left alone,
but can be easily damaged by attempts to modify.
Please do not attempt.

Do NOT attempt to wire into key switch or factory harness.
Causes controller failure($$$$$)

You must use a voltage reducer to power 12v accessories.

Help is available here to SAFELY add accessories to RXV's

The old method of tapping one battery for 12v power causes REAL problems .
Problems include shorter battery life and controller shut down
without warning at speed. Controller shutdown locks the emergency brake
resulting in rear tire lock up WITHOUT WARNING.. not fun

We have some of the 48v txt lifted carts.
They don't seem to roll as hard in turns.
The speed on the 48v txt is comparable to RXV's on flat ground (not much of that here)
But RXV's just destroy all stock carts (and a lot of modified carts) on hills.

Be sure to test drive!!!

Hope this helps !!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 PM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Ezgo offers 6x 8v trays for rxv from the factory in rxv or 2five, and as a add-on to replace the 4x 12v tray in a rxv or 2five (both had 4x 12v only for the first few years). I'm pretty sure 4x 12v option is not gonna be available soon, we only order with 6x 8v. I think the rollover risk is mostly attributable to the posi in the rear axle. In a traditional "open" diff (non-posi), if you turn real sharp while on the throttle, the inside wheel will break traction, preventing any more acceleration. In a posi, you can still continue to apply power to both wheels, allowing you to gain even more speed even though you are going too fast for the turn, and possibly roll over.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO