lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2014, 09:55 PM   #21
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Default Re: What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift

what does 2five mean? also would 4x 12v be better? i know its not offered but i feel like that would be alot easier since 12v batteries there are much more options?
GotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-12-2014, 12:58 AM   #22
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: What is the best year/brand Golf cart to buy with plans to modify (speed and lift

2five is Ezgo's LSV model. It is aimed to be 50 state legal as a "Low Speed Vehicle". By ANSI standards, a LSV can do no less than 20mph and no more than 25mph as a top speed. It must also have reflectors at all four corners, have seatbelts, DOT approved headlights, turn signals, brake lights, running lights, a horn, a mirror. (may have other things i forgot). It also has a 18 digit VIN for registration and title purposes. Every state may also have their own unique requirements (or may not allow LSV at all on public roads). All 2five's have a "safety glass" windshield (like all cars have) to conform to some states requirements. The roof and supports are built different to conform to the various states standards (a lot more strength than average golf cart roof supports). It also has 4 wheel hydraulic disc brakes (like a car, very uncommon for a "golf cart"). In AZ, a LSV may be used on roads with a speed limit of 35 mph or less (no highway, if you are that crazy), but may cross a highway at a intersection (stop light). The rest of the drivetrain is quite similar to a RXV. It has "real brakes" so the regen braking is not quite as strong (it still has a "motor brake" like a RXV). Motor is same as RXV. Gear ratio is a little "faster" (not 16.99:1 like RXV). Controller is very similar, but, no "burn-off" module (not needed, since it has traditional brakes). If you need any more info about any of this RXV & 2five info (I DONT KNOW EVERY STATES REGISTRATION & LSV LAWS, I CANT HELP WITH THAT, "GOOGLE" CAN), feel free to ask, i will help all i can. Get any thing better than 4x 12v you can get, 6x 8v is better, and 8x 6v batteries is even better. Anything is better than 4x 12v, a battery tray is available to convert RXV or 2five to 6x 8v. 8x 6v wont fit in a RXV without a trade-off (like no room for golf bags in the back)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #23
GotaCamaro
Getting Wild

Hmm this is some great information thank you.

I may want to actually consider a 2five to avoid cops pestering me in the neighborhood. I will have to look if maryland will accept it. From what i read before a few years ago, golf carts were not allowed to be registered as LSV's .

Are 2fives more expensive i assume? I have started to search for a 2010+ EZGO but a lot of people dont know if they have a PDS or RXV. What is the easiest way to tell if its PDS vs RXV? also How to tell if its a 2five easy?
GotaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 PM   #24
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A 2Five isn't a golf cart, it is a LSV or low speed vehicle. It will have a VIN number you can register and get a LSV license plate in most states. Check your state before purchasing.

sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:34 AM   #25
cgtech

Yamaha

2five is only ezgo with a glass windshield (which is at a much steeper angle than a regular RXV top). RXV and 2five have the forward and reverse controls on the keyswitch (switch has 4 positions, "Off", "F", "N", "R"). I have never seen a TXT PDS like this. Also, PDS has a parking brake latch on brake pedal, RXV & 2five electric does not, it handles its own parking brake.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #26
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:

All RXV's, to my knowledge, are 48 volt. early one used 12 volt batteries. Newer ones use 8 volt sets. Ezgo still offered 36 volt carts for a few years after the intro of the RXV.
FWIW: my 2013 RXV has 4, 12-volt batteries. Replacements will be 8 volt jobs, I don't really have a need for much more range than what the 12-volts give me. It's my understanding that the 12-volt golf cart batteries are inferior to 8-volt units.

Also, FWIW: I love my RXV. It is so smooth at low speeds and the "brakes" work very well. It's nice that they'll never wear out nor need adjusting.

Depending on the State, not all of the 2five's features might be required. I'm in Michigan and know a lady who just made their RXV street legal here. She had to add turn signals and seat belts, and had to have the State Police assign a regular VIN so she could get a 'real' title, then a license plate. I don't know about the roof support and windshield upgrades, but will ask next time I see her.

Personally, if I were to speed it up, I'd definitely NOT 'lift' the cart. They're really not meant to go faster than 20 MPH, and the short wheelbase and narrow track width guarantees a certain amount of instability. Also, the stock brakes are inadequate at higher speeds, especially if the cart is heavily loaded, IE: 4 passengers. Note that this is my opinion, many folks here will disagree.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #27
cgtech

Yamaha

It is correct that all the features of the 2five are not actually required in every single state, they were trying to cover the "patchwork" of LSV laws from every state.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #28
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
1. FWIW: my 2013 RXV has 4, 12-volt batteries. Replacements will be 8 volt jobs, I don't really have a need for much more range than what the 12-volts give me. It's my understanding that the 12-volt golf cart batteries are inferior to 8-volt units.

2. Personally, if I were to speed it up, I'd definitely NOT 'lift' the cart. They're really not meant to go faster than 20 MPH, and the short wheelbase and narrow track width guarantees a certain amount of instability. Also, the stock brakes are inadequate at higher speeds, especially if the cart is heavily loaded, IE: 4 passengers. Note that this is my opinion, many folks here will disagree.
1. The main difference between 12V, 8V and 6V batteries is the number of 2V cells packed in roughly the same size box, so none are inferior or superior to the others.

Range and lifespan are based on AH capacity and the lower the voltage, the higher the AH possible in the same sized box. In a nutshell, a 6 x 8V pack goes further and lasts longer than a 4 x 12V pack because you can get more AH in an 8V battery than you can get in a 12V battery.

The same is true with 8 x 6V packs vs 6 x 8V packs, but there is some overlap between the two due to some 8V batteries have more AH than some 6V batteries. IE: A Trojan Ranger 160 is an 8V battery with 204AH, whiles a Crown CR200 is a 6V with only 200AH.

2. I'm not fond of lifting a cart either.

Of course, I'm not fond of tall tires either.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #29
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
JohnnieB said:
1. The main difference between 12V, 8V and 6V batteries is the number of 2V cells packed in roughly the same size box, so none are inferior or superior to the others.

Range and lifespan are based on AH capacity and the lower the voltage, the higher the AH possible in the same sized box. In a nutshell, a 6 x 8V pack goes further and lasts longer than a 4 x 12V pack because you can get more AH in an 8V battery than you can get in a 12V battery.

The same is true with 8 x 6V packs vs 6 x 8V packs, but there is some overlap between the two due to some 8V batteries have more AH than some 6V batteries. IE: A Trojan Ranger 160 is an 8V battery with 204AH, whiles a Crown CR200 is a 6V with only 200AH.
I'm quite aware of battery parameters as far as AH ratings, but it seems to me that someone here (you?) said that the 12 volt G.C. batteries just don't give the range and/or lifespan of 8 volt batteries, implying that the construction is inferior.

I am definitely planning on replacing the 12 volt batteries in my RXV with 8 volt units, "just because". For my use, going to 6-volt batteries would be overkill. I run the wheels off the cart for 3 or 4 weeks out of the year, and could get by with 4 automotive batteries the rest of the time. Although I don't know the AH rating of my present batteries, they'd only have to be about 160 AH or so to have the same W/H capacity of my old 36 volt cart. With the somewhat higher efficiency of the AC drive on the RXV, I should be in good shape. In fact, I ran the cart for my usual usage in August and it did just fine. Busy days saw the "fuel gauge" coming off 'full', but just a bit. I have one of ScottyB's digital meters, but don't remember what it was reading.

Back to the desirability of the RXV vs. anything else: about the ONLY negative that I can think of is that it cannot be moved if there's no batteries in it, or if they're dead. Admittedly, about the only time that should cause concern is for a cart in the shop with the batteries totally removed.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #30
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunmyer View Post
1. I'm quite aware of battery parameters as far as AH ratings, but it seems to me that someone here (you?) said that the 12 volt G.C. batteries just don't give the range and/or lifespan of 8 volt batteries, implying that the construction is inferior.
I didn't mean to imply the batteries, in and of themselves, were inferior.
Just meant that, in general terms, most 4 x12V 48V packs won't have the range and lifespan of a 6x 8V 48V pack due to the AH capacities available in the respective voltage batteries, however there are some economy grade 8V batteries that have fewer AH than 12V batteries so there is some overlap.

Bottom line: Since we are talking about 48V packs only, range and lifespan is determined by the AH of the cells, rather than how many cells are in each box.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO