lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
Fletcher_Outdoors
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 48V DS has loss of speed/power going uphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
The best way to test your batteries (as a pack and individually) is described in THIS THREAD. The article describes a cart which may or may not be the same drive system as yours - but the proper battery test procedure is exactly the same for almost any cart.
Awesome- Just used it yesterday at one of my farms so I just put it on the charger this morning. I will try this test tomorrow with one of my sons so I can get it all documented.
Fletcher_Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-06-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Measure each battery individually under load (climbing hill) and report (see just above your last note). Report the LOWEST voltages you are seeing on each battery during a hill climb.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher_Outdoors View Post
Thats what I'm guessing as well but as this is my first cart, I am actually guessing!

But I didn't think it was a battery issue because after a full charge it reads 51.0V. I saw a chart that said fully charged batteries would be 8.49V each, which would be 50.94V. Is this accurate?

I'm just trying to avoid $700 in new batteries if thats not my issue. However, if there's a high probability that its the batteries I would make that investment as they are a few years old and my cart is pretty important to my work around my farms.

Thanks!
Well even bad batteries can and do reach full voltage during the charge (mine did) it is just for the lack of better terms that they don't have any muscle left in them.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
Fletcher_Outdoors
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

OK guys... sorry for the delay... between our kids high school graduation, baseball and lacrosse tourneys, and my busy work schedule, I finally got to do the test. I am going to report the lowest voltage per Joesam's comment...

All batteries read 8.3 when not under load. I drove the cart up a slight incline on asphalt, for approximately 60 yards. The results are as follows:

1.) 7.1
2.) 7.0
3.) 7.5
4.) 7.5
5.) 7.1
6.) 7.3

What do you all think???

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Measure each battery individually under load (climbing hill) and report (see just above your last note). Report the LOWEST voltages you are seeing on each battery during a hill climb.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #15
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Batteries.... Replace them... Your starting out with only 80 % SOC and such a mild incline should not be dragging them down so far.
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #16
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: 2004 48V DS has loss of speed/power going uphill

Absolutely bad batteries...go with T875 Trojans...take pictures of the batteries with your cell phone before installing to be sure you get things back together correctly. Be sure to clean the cables with a wire wheel or brush and inspect them for any hidden corrosion...then after installation read the 'sticky' all about batteries to learn how to break in your new batteries.😎
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 PM   #17
Fletcher_Outdoors
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

OK guys- need a little more help. So it's clear I need to replace the batteries and I plan to do that just before hunting season when I really need to be able to climb hills and such when hunting on some of my properties. My plan was to continue with what I have until September. Especially since we spend 2 weeks at Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach and I really didn't want to worry about breaking my batteries in before the kids start running all over the campground in the cart with new batteries.

So... having said that, I had one of the battery post melt last night while the kids were cruising around. I attached a picture of it. Knowing that I want to replace them with new Trojans, I purchased a cheaper model battery this morning to hold me over until September. Then tonight I noticed another battery post melting. The one that was replaced was the second one in the series, the one that is melting now that will need to be replaced is the second one from the other side. Do I have an electrical problem, something else, or are my batteries just completely done???

HELP!!! We are still here for another week and vacationing here without a Golf Cart is next to impossible because it would be too hard to walk everywhere. I value your opinions so please tell me what you think. For financial reasons, I just can't get the Trojans that I want right now. I could get another brand for about $660... of course I already bought one so I guess it would be more like $550. What should I do??? Thanks!

I have a slow internet connection here at the beach so I post the pictures as soon as they finish. The new one that started melting is already attached.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #18
Fletcher_Outdoors
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

http://maven-media.com/wp-content/up...9.14.07-PM.png

Another picture of the one melting now...
Old 07-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #19
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Clean up those ends and put heavier ring terminals will help.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:23 PM   #20
Fletcher_Outdoors
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

http://maven-media.com/wp-content/up...9.19.13-PM.png

Here's a picture of the one that completely melted off the post... Thanks again guys!

Tags
2004 ds, loss of power, oss of speed uphill
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car