lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #1
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

Default 91 ezgo need advice!( new controller or convert new style(

I have a 91 ezgo and the controller went out. Started smoked even melted a little hole in the top. I was told that is is a series motor just like a 2001 style ezgo so im wondering. Do i buy a new controller which im having trouble finding and i think they around 700 orrrr. I have a forward/reverse switch and controller for a 2001 style. Could i get a wiring harness and arrange it in this setup?
larryo587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2015, 02:00 AM   #2
tylerk1001
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 ezgo need advice!( new controller or convert new style(

Hey Larry have you checked out cartsunlimited.net? There is all sorts of converter packages there. I'm not sure if your want to stay OEM or go bigger and better. But regardless ScottyB has some great stuff on that site. Also did you figure out why the controller went bad? I would hate for you to replace it just to have another melt on you because of an issue somewhere else.
tylerk1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

I havent checked there for prices. Not really looking to upgrade just want to get it going again i like the new style with all the batteries together in the middle plus i think itll be cheaper if it is possible. All i will need is a wire harness and a few small things. Not sure why it went out everything seems to be in order except for wires needing to be changed out not having good connections everywhere.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

Is there any way to modify the harness on the 91 ezgo to work with the new controller without any other modifications.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo587 View Post
Is there any way to modify the harness on the 91 ezgo to work with the new controller without any other modifications.
Hi Larry - welcome to BGW- there is no reason to change from Marathon to TXT style speed control. Both controllers operate in the same fashion and will give the same results. The big difference is the throttle control signal. Stick with controllers made for your Marathon and save the $ and trouble of making changes.
We have replacement controller pkg (control & HD solenoid) starting under $400. Upgrades start at $450 -500

For additional power you can run this cart on 48 volts. Six 8v drop right into the orig. battery rack.

Check us out on the web.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

Hey thanks for the reply back. Im not looking for extra power jist trying to get this cart running with as little invested as possible. Im already in the hole on it. Here is the cart and the wiring thats in it.

all the wires are messed up so they are getting replaced for sure. But the controller is fryed. Wondering if i can rig it up like my other golf cart since i have most of the parts

or should i just buy a new controller like the original. If u think new controller how much do u sell one for. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #7
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

Was wondering if i could put this speed controller on the first cart and it run properly. I have a f &r switch to match the new speed controller too.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
larryo587
Not Yet Wild

Old 03-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No these cart have 2 different throttle position signals. So swapping controllers means swapping pedal device also. Lots of work to put a flimsy OEM control in.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #10
rbuggies48IN
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Suggest getting the new controller that can handle 36/48 volt and definitely go with scottyb. You'll then have your cart cost-effectively up-and-running and a be a step closer to taking the next step to a 48 volt system when your batteries need to be replaced.
rbuggies48IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO