lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #21
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Plum quick said I can't go 48v

Can anybody tell me why they recommend disabling the turbo?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2015, 07:05 PM   #22
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It can make a stock motor run too hot.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:02 AM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
It can make a stock motor run too hot.
Right restaurant, wrong table.
A motor isn't exactly stock after Plum Quick does their magic, but excessive motor heating is very likely the issue.

The RPM at which a given amount of torque is generated by a SepEx motor can be increased by decreasing the field excitation (Amp flow), but there are limits to how much the Field amps can be reduced with respect to the Armature amps. Drop the Field amps to Armature amps ratio too much and severe motor overheating occurs.

The Turbo mode drops the Field amps further than the field map being used calls for, so overheating can occur.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #24
carolinasled
Dum Spiro Spero

Mikey, Did you end up getting your motor?

I sent a email to PQ and was basically shot down on a motor due to my tire size even though I only wanted a torque motor. I hope D&D would like to earn my business. lol
carolinasled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:37 PM   #25
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Stock motors are not always up to the task of every job. Small brushes, and other design info dictates what it is suited for (and what upgrades work with that motor). I have very little experience with PQ motors and their upgrades, but, if you wanted me to upgrade your cart using a motor that was not suited for the job i would discourage you from taking that path too. Its like adding a 500a controller to a "GE tin-can motor" with small brushes, it'll perform great for a while, but wont last too long. I wouldnt want to put my name on something i thought wouldnt last doing the job requested.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:45 PM   #26
carolinasled
Dum Spiro Spero

That's exactly what I have is a ge thin can, with a all Trax spm 48400. I told them I wasn't looking for speed. No big deal though
Old 05-07-2015, 11:59 PM   #27
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinasled View Post
That's exactly what I have is a ge thin can, with a all Trax spm 48400. I told them I wasn't looking for speed. No big deal though
Its not speed thats the problem, its Amps. Small brushes cant handle the amps in the long run. A torque motor is gonna require big amps to deliver big torque. I have a difficult time finding good motors for G19s to rebuild, same problem, small brushes. No one who knows those motors has much great to say about those motors when used for big tire or high speed gear applications.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #28
carolinasled
Dum Spiro Spero

So in my situation what would you do? This is why I was like I'll buy another motor and pay like I didn't have a motor. There's gotta be something I can do, I guess d&d is about the best option since I buy another rather than have mine rebuilt.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:56 AM   #29
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did the 48v upgrade but I haven't taken my motor to them. It's already out but work schedule hasn't let me ride up there.
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #30
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinasled View Post
So in my situation what would you do? This is why I was like I'll buy another motor and pay like I didn't have a motor. There's gotta be something I can do, I guess d&d is about the best option since I buy another rather than have mine rebuilt.
Plum Quick would be happy to sell you a stand alone motor vs. rebuilding your existing motor but that's a different conversation.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO