lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
sierrakilo99
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Metal Body Project Cart - Lots of Rust

Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum, first post, so go easy on me.

I'm looking for some guidance on an old 90's metal body EZGO electric cart.

I've been looking for a 'cart project', something that I can use to pull small airplanes in / out of our hangar and to run around the airport. A friend of mine gave me one of his old carts that he used in his battery store. I think this one is a 1993 model year from the numbers on data plate under the passenger side knee well area. This one is very rusted, nothing left of the battery tray/holder under the seat, and the frame / rails are pretty rusted as well, especially across the middle where the F/R control panel meets the rails all along the bottom. The metal body seems to be what's really keeping everything together in this area, but as you can see from the pic, there's metal flaking off of just about everything under there. The suspension does look like its all intact, I can easily push it around and it seems to steer smoothly and roll OK without groaning / squeaking.

The only $$$ I have in this at the moment are for three new 12v batteries, and a charger. I also got a couple replacement throttle assemblies thrown in, care of my friend's at the battery store. If this cart is truely a basket case, then I can salvage parts off it for some other project.

I'm looking for some advise / guidance. I'm not looking to restore this cart, I just want to know if I can make it 'useful' (see pic) enough with a little bit of repair work and elbow grease. I'm very capable of just about any kind of repair, from electrical to sheet metal, used to know how to weld even, but its been a looong time.

I don't know where to start to even take this thing apart, or if that's even worth doing just yet. I just rolled it into the hangar and cleared space for me to work on it. Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.
sk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 021.jpg (200.8 KB, 0 views)
sierrakilo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: EZGO Metal Body Project Cart - Lots of Rust

I would start taking it apart. Remove the armrest those screws are difficult but need removed, remove seat and all screws along the rim(inside battery comoartment), remove screws on rear fender where the black cover is since they secure to frame...essentially process of removing a bunch of screws/bolts. The front of battery compartment is last. Once u get it all apart remove rust, patch, paint and put it back together. Have fun on your project and welcome to bgw!
Epb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
sierrakilo99
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Are there still parts available for this? I've found a thread on this forum from back in 2012 of someone doing a complete restore of this model, but it stops at the point where the guy had the frame off and out for sandblast and powder coat. Nothing posted after that.

I'm just afraid that when I get the body panels off and then the F/R panel below the seat, there isn't much left to hold the front and rear halves together. I could probably get angle stock and weld up something that will hold the batteries in place and I'd have to fab something to hold the controller, since its just hanging at the moment. I'll get more photos and post later.

sk
Old 04-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

There are parts available but maybe not body panels. The nose is still sold. I think weld it up solid, make some mounts, and repair what u can and enjoy it for ur purposes.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:03 PM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Might be basket case...
Look on craigslist- get better cart for a good price.

Unless you like Project cart--where the joy is in the fabrication ......
This cart looks like money pit to me.

12v batts(Assuming car batts) not enough capacity for useful work .. Cart will kill them quickly.

Good luck !!!!
Keep us posted.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
woodrow256
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

At some point it is not worth all the trouble. I had the same cart as this. The frame rails were rusted so bad that there was not any good metal to weld to. If the frame is solid, maybe keep it. If the frame rails have rusty holes in them, its a big hassle. After mine started sagging in the middle, i knew it was a money pit. The next reasonably priced cart was purchased. Best decision of my life. You may have more resources than me though. I have a welder and know how to use it, but time is a resource. I could waste no more on it. Good luck.
woodrow256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:29 AM   #7
sierrakilo99
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After reading LOTS of posts on multiple sites yesterday, I think I'll start by taking it apart in the area where I'd need to weld in some new battery rails/rack supports, since replacement parts for this area look like they are easy to get. If I can't find enough good metal to weld onto the frame rails, I'll scrap it and start looking for another cart. It's a shame since the mechanicals look like they are in pretty good shape.

I've been looking for an excuse to work on my welding skills, so if I can get to enough decent metal on the frame, I'll work the center section enough to get the batteries in and the controls hooked back up, and see if the cart still works electrically.

HiTechRedNeck: the 12v batts look like they are deep cycle boat batteries, they are much larger than 12v car batts. My purpose for this cart: pulling light aircraft (less than 2000 lbs) in/out of the hangar, and in general running around the flat space of the airport from one hangar to the next. What do you think? Good enough for this purpose?

I'll post back with more later as I get it disassembled.
sk
Old 04-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
sierrakilo99
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Started taking it apart yesterday. Looks like there's more metal left than I first thought so it may not be a complete basket case after all. Banged on the rails with a hammer and knocked off rust, seems like there's some sturdy metal underneath. Once I get it down to the frame I'll start grinding where I think I need to weld in some strengthening members across the front where the F/R panel meets the floor. That seems to be the worst area.

One question that had me stumped yesterday: how do you get the F/R lever off? I took the small screw out of the center, thinking that it just pulled off after removing the screw, but no joy.

sk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 561.jpg (137.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 562.jpg (160.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 574.jpg (159.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Epb
Gone Wild
Club Car

The lever is probably rusted together. Wd40 and persuasion will have to work. Spray and let it soak.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO