lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
CampMaster
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default slow cart - need new motor?

Hi, new member here!

I have an '89 cushman Titan 36v I use as a parade vehicle (with a lot of EZGO parts). I'm only getting 5mph from it and specs say I should get 13mph.

It used to run faster, maybe 9mph but not now.

It has the original 36v GE motor, model #5BC49JB402, 3hp, 3000rpm. I replaced the brushes when one burnt its wire but haven't done anything to the motor itself.

It has a Curtis controller, model #PMC17B.

It wasn't treated well by the previous owner- his batteries were bad and he used his charger and a generator to drive it. All his power cables were melted.
I replaced the batteries and upgraded the wiring to 2g welding cable.

My question is it time to bite the bullet and buy a motor? and if so what and who do you recommend? Or can the motor be rebuilt?

thanks!
CampMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #2
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: slow cart - need new motor?

I am not familiar with your electrical system, but as old as it is I assume it is a resistor cart. Before I replaced the motor I would check to see if it is getting full voltage at wide open throttle. Could be a wiring problem.
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
CampMaster
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default Re: slow cart - need new motor?

it started out as an old resistor cart but was upgraded with a Curtis PMC 17b controller before I got it. All the hodgepodge changes makes it a challenge to troubleshoot!

I figured I'd try some controller testing if I can find some voltage specs, but any suggestions are welcome!
CampMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushman, replacement motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO