lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #1
devybob
Gone Wild

Default Solenoid works,Cart don't

After changing my alltrax dcx400 controller with a known good one and installing a new SW180 solenoid,the my 42 volt western still don't move. Some suspicious things that pop out to me are, the green light on my controller is always on green, even with the key off though not with tow switch off,second thing is the solenoid engages as soon as I turn the key on,I'm not sure is was always that way. I thought my original problem was solved once I got he soleoid to work.Where do I go from here I'm having a tough time with this cart
devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Solenoid works,Cart don't

The control should NOT have the green LED all the time. This means the circuit board is powered up all the time and the control this will hurt the control over time. If you cycle the run tow and the light goes off and comes back on.... then will the cart run once?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:17 PM   #3
devybob
Gone Wild

Nothing,the solenoid works but the cart won't move an inch.Scotty, the controller green light stays on even with the key off?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by devybob View Post
Nothing,the solenoid works but the cart won't move an inch.Scotty, the controller green light stays on even with the key off?
Well that's a problem you need to address right away. Disconnect the (normally red) wire from the control #1 pin.
Can you find out why that wire is always on? it should click on and off with the go pedal. Bad micro switch someplace?

I corrected post #2 (left NOT out? )oops
Old 11-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #5
devybob
Gone Wild

will check out later

Last edited by devybob; 11-19-2015 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: information not correct
Old 11-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #6
devybob
Gone Wild

Let me get this right,the light on the controller should not be on unless the the key switch is turned on and the solenoid should engage only when the key is on and in forward or reverse. If this is correct I have a couple of problems,first of all the light is on anytime the tow switch is on,second I have no power when I put the switch in reverse and still the cart don't go.The solenoid is working as it should, only engaging when the key is on and in gear.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The problem as I see it is the control being powered up all the time. I would solve this problem first.

Can you establish what year and model cart this is?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by devybob View Post
1. Let me get this right,the light on the controller should not be on unless the the key switch is turned on and

2. the solenoid should engage only when the key is on and in forward or reverse.

3. If this is correct I have a couple of problems,first of all the light is on anytime the tow switch is on,second I have no power when I put the switch in reverse and still the cart don't go.

4. The solenoid is working as it should, only engaging when the key is on and in gear.
1. Your 42V Western cart is basically a PDS drive and you have a DCX400 controller that is adapted to the PDS wiring harness through a PDS to DCX adapter.

The DCX controller should not power up (Green Led come on) unless the Run/Tow switch is in Run AND the keyswitch is ON AND the F/R switch is in either F or R.

2. The solenoid will only energize when the DCX controller is powered up.

When the DCX controller powers up, the solenoid might energize momentarily, but it doesn't do it every time the DCX controller powers up.

Most of the time, the solenoid is only energized when the pedal is pushed, or when regen braking is occurring.

3. Yes, it sounds like more than one problem. However, getting the DCX controller to power up properly and the solenoid too energize properly might solve the no-go problem.

4. See #2 above.

----------
Since the DCX controller is powered up (LED on) whether the keyswitch is ON or OFF, I suspect the PDS to DCX adapter is bad.

Pack voltage on Pin-6 (on top of DCX controller) is what tells the DCX controller to power up.
Attached is a schematic with the voltage path to Pin-6 highlighted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCX in PDS - In Forward - Pin-6 traced.jpg (327.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
devybob
Gone Wild

When I shake plug J1 with the key on and in forward the solenoid clicks on and off although the green light will still stay on. I checked the continuity of all the wires on the plug but they all checked good. I'm going to order a new PDS adapter locally anyway and then I'll start over. It's a good thing everyone thinks I'm made of money!
Old 11-24-2015, 11:32 AM   #10
devybob
Gone Wild

Finally got my adapter harness and the cart runs, johnnyb was right it was a bad harness,BUT it runs slow with a top speed of 16 MPH and does not run smooth. My cart normally goes 28MPH top speed.I am using my old original alltrax dcx400 with a new HD solenoid, 42volt (44.4 pack voltage) 2 gauge cables .Checked all cables and all tight. Any ideas?

Last edited by devybob; 11-24-2015 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: left out information
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO