lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
zephyrus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Factory Charger OK with upgraded batteries?

I recently installed 6-8 volt Crown CR190 batteries in my 2007 Club Car DS IQ cart. I had Club Car branded batteries that were 165 amp/hour previously. Do I need to get a higher capacity charger for the higher amp/hour rated batteries, or is the factory Power Drive 3 charger sufficient? I am looking at the DPI Accusense charger. Thanks in advance.
zephyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Factory Charger OK with upgraded batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrus View Post
I recently installed 6-8 volt Crown CR190 batteries in my 2007 Club Car DS IQ cart. I had Club Car branded batteries that were 165 amp/hour previously. Do I need to get a higher capacity charger for the higher amp/hour rated batteries, or is the factory Power Drive 3 charger sufficient? I am looking at the DPI Accusense charger. Thanks in advance.

Ia in the same boat as you with my new 6-8volt crowns somebody will be knockin on this threads door. Iam pretty sure the charger .same as mine is the right one if its 48 volt.
bsa_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #3
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

While the 17 amp DPI Accusense charger is indeed an excellent charger; same as I have. The 15 amp PowerDrive charger should indeed handle your high cap batteries just fine. Plug in your charger for at least 16 hours (times out at 16) and then allow your batteries upward of 12 hours rest to which take a reading of your full pack voltage, to which if you are seeing 50.9 volts or better then your pack is 100 % fully charged....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa_bob View Post
Ia in the same boat as you with my new 6-8volt crowns somebody will be knockin on this threads door. Iam pretty sure the charger .same as mine is the right one if its 48 volt.
Now Bob, with your current batteries unless you were using some other charger than the factory provided PowerDrive charger on those goof ball mini batteries you WERE using you don't need to be looking for no other charger than the 15 amp charger that comes with these carts....
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #5
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Man!! i'm gonna takin beating on those Alphasfor awhile. REALLY HAD no idea what i was doing. The "Mr thrifty" came out in me- and cost me more in the long run .No problem Teecro! .With my charger its the little square one that comes with this CC. I have a good kar now. Should i do what you just told now zephyrus to do?? Charge new batterys for 16 hours; then let them set 12 hours: and then check the pack voltage seeing better than 51. 09 volts. They are fully charged. The store i got them said they were ready go.?? do it your way?? just curious. bob s
Old 11-23-2015, 09:05 PM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bob, all new battery should be charged no matter what the "store" tells you. Unless you saw them hooked up to a charger in the store you have absolutely no idea how long they was on the store shelf before you came along and bought them.... Besides we don't "preach if the cart is parked charge it" here for no good reason, this is the life of your investment...
Old 11-24-2015, 07:33 AM   #7
bsa_bob
Gone Wild

Club Car

Cool Re: Factory Charger OK with upgraded batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Bob, all new battery should be charged no matter what the "store" tells you. Unless you saw them hooked up to a charger in the store you have absolutely no idea how long they was on the store shelf before you came along and bought them.... Besides we don't "preach if the cart is parked charge it" here for no good reason, this is the life of your investment...
OK! got it now Teecro. last question--- and then this gentleman, can have his thread back. Maybe this is question he has too,while these batteries are being charged......Must they be charging, as per most unsealed batteries, in many autos.All the caps removed from the cells?? good day at ya teecro bob s.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

You don't need to remove the caps to charge, they will vent gases as needed.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
zephyrus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but my Power Drive 3 charger is rated for 13 amps output. Still good?
zephyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Actually both versions of the PowerDrive 3 are rated at 14.5amps at the start of charging cycle.

It will work fine for those batteries.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car