lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Checker
Not Yet Wild

Default Odometer for TXTPDS

My insurance agent says they will cut my annual rate in half if I have an odometer on my 2003, EZ GO TXTPDS. I don't care if it is accurate I just want a cheap solution
Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
LVCJ
going,.. going,.. gone!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Odometer for TXTPDS

Your probably gonna have to get one that works off of a GPS signal.
There are many, many different types. Just depends on how much you want to spend and if your insurance company will accept it.

Go to Amazon.com and type in..."GPS Odometer"

This is the one I have. Its nice....but may be a little pricey????
Amazon.com: Atach Digital GPS Speedometer Gauge 3-3/8'' (85mm): Automotive Amazon.com: Atach Digital GPS Speedometer Gauge 3-3/8'' (85mm): Automotive

Last edited by LVCJ; 01-14-2016 at 05:34 PM.. Reason: adding link to item
LVCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I don't think you can go any cheaper than this:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...must-read.html
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What insurance company? I have Progressive and I don't think that was an option.
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Bicycle speedometer is easy to modify to work on a cart. I am building my own that runs off the speed sensor on the motor. That requires knowledge of processor programming.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Bicycle speedometer is easy to modify to work on a cart. I am building my own that runs off the speed sensor on the motor. That requires knowledge of processor programming.
I've kicked around the idea of running a magnetic pickup type speedometer from the motor speed sensor and telling the speedometer you had really tiny tires.

Normally, the way they work is a magnet is attached to the wheel and a stationary sensor mounted so the magnet passes in close proximity to the sensor. That generates 1 pulse per tire revolution and to calibrate the speedometer, you enter the circumference of the tire, typically in millimeters.

My motor sensor puts out 4 pulses for each motor revolution and the motor turns 12.44 times for each tire revolution, so if I divide my tire's actual circumference by 49.76, the speedometer should display a speed that is fairly close to actual.

My tires are about 1360MM in circumference, so I'd tell the speedometer they were 27MM and the speed ought to be within 1% of true.

Of course, I'd have to find a speedometer the would accept a 27MM circumference tire and build a buffer amp to isolate the motor's speed sensor output since it is also used by the XCT controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I am just curious but why does your insurance company want an odo on your cart? Is an odo going to make you safer?
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It is not that hard to use a bicycle speedometer but that is not my approach. You can mount a magnet on the hub or wheel (The bike speedo comes with it) and mount the pickup to see the magnet once per wheel rev. Then you program the speedo for the wheel size. Some will go down small enough some won't. I am going to tap the speed sensor (4 per motor rev) and optically couple it to my processor board to compute MPH and distance. I will save the distance in EEROM for the odometer. Bike speedo is a much easier solution but I'm not into easy.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
It is not that hard to use a bicycle speedometer but that is not my approach. You can mount a magnet on the hub or wheel (The bike speedo comes with it) and mount the pickup to see the magnet once per wheel rev. Then you program the speedo for the wheel size. Some will go down small enough some won't. I am going to tap the speed sensor (4 per motor rev) and optically couple it to my processor board to compute MPH and distance. I will save the distance in EEROM for the odometer. Bike speedo is a much easier solution but I'm not into easy.
I'm more into KISS than easy, but I'm leaning further towards easy with each passing year as well as perfecting my procrastination skills.

I use a GPS for real time speed and its re-settable trip odometer suffices for the tests I do that require distance traveled information and the XCT data log files record motor RPM, so my plans to install a tach and/or speedo and feed them from the motor's speed sensor, are on the back burner.

The only problem I have with the GPS unit is that it is too walkaway-able if I leave the cart while shopping or having a meal in town. A speedo or tach can be more securely installed, but there are only a few places in town that I actually need to know real time speed since my cart will only do 28 MPH and the speed limit on the city streets is 25MPH except in school zones.

I'll probably just install a tach, which I already have, and make a chart with RPM vs MPH for a few critical speeds.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I want the odometer mostly for keeping track of distance traveled between charges since I just installed Lithium batteries. I want to track pack voltage vs distance so that I can better estimate my safe range between charges. I don't want to charge often like I do with FLA batteries. Lithiums last longer if you charge them less often as long as you don't over charge or over discharge them. I am working on a battery monitor system to warn me if I start getting too low a voltage on any of the cells.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO