lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
lgedwards@hughes.net
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Question 2001 EZ-GO Forward/ Reverse Question?

My EZ-GO was having problems with the Forward/Reverse Switch. I could tap on it and it would be okay. I took the cover off and sprayed PB Blaster on the nuts so I could change out the switch assembly. Before I did this it was very hard to operate the handle in front of the seat to move from forward to reverse. I have installed a State of Charge meter on the dash and I would put it in forward and get no movement of the meter. When I tapped on the switch a little the needle would show it was ready to move the cart. I guess some of the PB Blaster got into the area where the rod operates the switch back and forth. Now it moves back and forth very easy and the needle on the meter comes up without hesitation. Could this have been the problem with the switch not operating? Also, is the handle for forward/reverse eventually becoming hard to move back and forth a common problem. Also, now the handle does not come to the straight up and down position when in neutral. I have to push it almost all the way to the side where forward is before I see the needle on the SOC meter go to off. I hope I have explained this good enough. Thanks everyone, Larry
lgedwards@hughes.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2016, 05:14 AM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2001 EZ-GO Forward/ Reverse Question?

Your soc meter is turning on and off by switches on the forward neutral reverse (fnr) assembly. It is a rotating puck that aligns contacts to give you fnr. It sounds like it had gotten dry and you spraying some pb in there loosened it up. I would pull the front black cover off and inspect the switch to make sure it is moving like it should. You should be able to see what is true neutral by looking at the front of the switch. If the fnr handle is not straight up and down you can loosen the fnr assembly and slide it sideways until it is. If it was right before I would suspect some other issue. Remember that this is a live circuit and lots of current is there if working on it unless you remove a battery lead from the pack. It is also a good idea to jack up the rear end to keep the cart from running away.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
lgedwards@hughes.net
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, kgsc, I'll loosen the switch and move it and see if I can get the handle vertical when in neutral.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

It really doesn't matter except for look but go for it. You should be able to center the switch by hand then slide the assembly until the handle is straight.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
lgedwards@hughes.net
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The problem I'm having is that there is a very small amount of travel for forward. The reverse takes up most of the movement from one side to the other. In order for me to get it in neutral I have to go all the way to the forward position and then move it slightly back and forth until the SOC meter shows off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO