lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
FlyerAve
Not Yet Wild

Default Mounting 5-panel mirror EZGO RXV

Hello all:

So I bought a 5-panel mirror for my RXV. After breaking a few 1/8" bits to drill the pilot holes I bought a titanium but and got the pilot holes finished. The support for the roof is fairly think steel and it took awhile to get 4 holes completed. Using the self-tapping screws produced either completely stripped thread on the screw or they just broke off while trying to mount the angle bracket. I went out and bought stainless steel, self-tapping screws and they too are breaking. I have drilled out enough broken screws to know that there has to be another way. Do I need to tap the pilot holes and use a machine screw when mounting this mirror?

Before you ask, the pilot holes are the correct size for the self-tapping screws but the metal is hardened steel and once the self-tapping screw gets two turns in, SNAPS and breaks.

Thanks in advance for advice. Maybe someone has another method of attaching the angle brackets? Rivets?
FlyerAve is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #2
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Mounting 5-panel mirror EZGO RXV

FA,
It's been a while since I mounted the mirror on my RXV, so I'm unsure if I had similar troubles. However:

You can either drill the holes larger or switch to a machine screw and tap the holes for the appropriate thread. Best use a fine-thread bolt, as the metal is not real thick.

I'd measure the screws to be certain that your oversized holes aren't too much oversized.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

I used a bolt, nut and lock washer on all the mirror mounts I've done. Just drill through both sides.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

I bet i have installed about 35 of these mirrors on RXV's. I use 3/4" pan head self tapping screws ( i paint them black), and i use my 12 volt dewalt impact drill, and they go right in, no problems, no pre drilling any holes, etc.
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
PinballDad
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I did what Smokey did on my 2008 rxv. Went in like butter.
PinballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO