lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-01-2016, 09:25 AM   #21
jcarney619
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Seeking AMD 7144 (GG1-4002) Specs

Update: have made contact with someone directly at AMD, who shared the following...

"Field weakening curves determine the field map settings so here you will see that the maximum allowed armature amps are 325 in low speed & full field and the same for high speed which hopefully matches closely with the maximum current of the controller that you are using. Maximum RPM rating should stay below 5000 RPM as a matter of keeping the integrity of the brazing and varnish that keep the armature coils in place within the armature assembly. Any speed beyond this RPM I believe you are taking a risk of potentially throwing a winding and damaging most likely the entire motor assembly, not just the armature.

The difficulty with field weakening too low to get the vehicle speed that most owners want ( faster is better ) is that you place the armature circuit in jeopardy of either a thermal failure or a mechanical failure if you blow or throw a coil from the core stack. The field maps help to indicate at the lower field amp setting how high the armature current is meant to be allowed before higher field current is required attaining a grade or a changing condition applied to the cart. Often people program the field current low and allow the armature current to be too high and in the application all the heat transfers into the armature assembly. After extended durations of operation you are left with an overworked armature that is either weakened by excessive RPM or degraded due to thermal fatigue. If you have a reliable way to monitor temperature to always stay safely below Class H ( 180 C ) then you can find some confidence that you are operating the motor in a safe manner. If you are right at the limitation of Class H without thermal monitoring then as an end user you will be tempting fate just as you stated. Please keep in mind that only a few seconds in a stall condition will raise an armature commutator bar so don’t dwell long at all without the armature continue to index or rotate and please monitor the temperature and RPM carefully to stay within recommended limitations. If the internal temperatures maintain around 150 to 160 Celsius you have a built in safety factor in case something were to occur unexpectedly in the vehicle operation and you would most likely catch it before internal damage is done."

Also awaiting the more detailed spec sheet for this motor...they shared one for an earlier generation which reflected the min/max RPM, amperage, and other values. Will update this thread with those details when I receive them (which likely won't be until week of 7/11 as the AMD resource is now on vacation).

Again, planning to load the latest Alltrax field map (v5 I believe) that I received via ScottyB and will share my findings.
jcarney619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2016, 10:28 AM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is not meant to be a comparison between controllers, but more of an illustration of how the Motor Maps provided by the manufacturer would be used to create Your own "Field Map".

The attached image shows all of the parameters that can be configured on a Curtis 1268 controller (requires a special($$) programming device).

You can pretty much mimic the curve provided by the manufacturer, it even allows for different parameters for the reverse operation in case you motor has different needs due to specific construction.

The nice thing about Alltrax is that they eliminate all that research/work by giving you a pre-configured map, but the downside is if You are a power user, You have no control or even visibility on what their curve looks like.

I think the Alltrax approach is best for this market as based on threads here, there are very few competent so called "Golf Cart Technicians" that would have the knowledge or go to the trouble of properly configuring a field map.

If You spend some time on the site, it becomes apparent the folks/sponsors that know their craft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis_1268_Field_Map.jpg (63.0 KB, 0 views)
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:16 PM   #23
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I monitor my motor temp. The highest it's ever got was 60C. This was after a 5 mile trip and 90F ambient temp.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #24
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

So I got a field map from Alltrax for my 7144 when I installed the motor. Is it still ok for me to make adjustments using the Alltrax software or do I need to install the field map and leave it alone?
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can make any adjustments the interface allows, they do not affect the field map.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #26
thompson521dc
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
You can make any adjustments the interface allows, they do not affect the field map.

Sergio you have been exceptionally helpful more than once as I try to modify my cart. Thank you.
thompson521dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #27
jcarney619
Not Yet Wild

Update on results/settings:

- Have applied the latest field map provided by Alltrax/ScottyB (believe this is v5, specifically for the 7144/GG1-4002 motor).
- After applying the field map, adjusted the max armature / motor amps to a max of 330 (based on the information that AMD had provided suggesting the max amps should not exceed 325)
- Set max rpm/speed to 5100 rpm. (Again, based on AMD recommendation).

With the above config - I'm getting roughly 25-27 mph on flat road. (cart is lifted, 23" tires). Torque is good.

Captured output from the controller, for which a small sampling is attached here. At 100% throttle, motor RPM never exceeds roughly 4900-5000 and generally the motor current stays below 200. (Did see a few spikes above that, to around 220-250 when first accelerating).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monitor_output.jpg (151.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #28
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I'm getting ready to upgrade my field map this week. Are you happy with the results you got?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #29
jcarney619
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
I'm getting ready to upgrade my field map this week. Are you happy with the results you got?
Overall I'm satisfied... wanted to make sure that I wasn't exceeding capabilities of the motor, and by the monitoring results it seems I'm ok there. I've not adjusted the throttle curves at this point - may make some minor changes there and try to get a bit more torque/speed on the lower end of the throttle curve.

With the original field map I was getting up to about 30mph but I suspect I may have been exceeding the specs of the motor (neglected to save the logs from that...). I might temporarily load that back on and see what the motor was actually doing while keeping a close eye on the monitor stats...
Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #30
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Assuming the data on your log was during WOT, there is a bit of throttle fluctuation on the upper end of the pedal travel.

When you play with your curves, make sure that 97% throttle (or less) gives you 100% speed and torque, so if the fluctuation continues, it will not have any noticeable effect on your driving experience.

Tags
7144, alltrax xct, amd 7144, gg1-4002
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car