lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Default “Remanufactured” FSIP controllers

Sitting in front of me is a ”Remanufactured 1204-408". Other than the serial number and the voltage there is no data written on the side of it. I did some Googling to try to learn and I came across a website (see attached screenshot) that has different prices to perform different rebuilds to the 1204-408. It appears that there are 1204-408s out there that are rated as high as 500 amps. I wonder what I have.

I emailed tech support at fsip.biz and told them the serial number and asked if they would be able to tell me the amperage. I got a one sentence reply that simply said, “A 1204-408 control is rated at 225 amps.” (Lots of websites indicate a stock 1204-408 is 275A.)

Does anybody have any thoughts on how to figure out what it is that I have?

TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSIP rebuild amps..jpg (502.7 KB, 0 views)
thetoddjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: “Remanufactured” FSIP controllers

Does it have some numbers written on the bottom of the base plate? On my toasted controller, written with a paint pen, there was a set of numbers that might have been a wholesaler's or retailer's stock number.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Typically with Curtis products the -### digits indicate ratings. The part number you posted is a 0-5K throttle with 3sec accel with a 225A drive rating and 120A plug current rating and no HPD.

The image posted is speaking of upgrades. They add more FETS or replace the ones present with those rated at higher current then change out some logic hardware to establish the new current rating. A remanufactured control would still have its original board rev so a 'New' control has more current capability if it has an updated build of material and board rev.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
Does it have some numbers written on the bottom of the base plate? On my toasted controller, written with a paint pen, there was a set of numbers that might have been a wholesaler's or retailer's stock number.

I didn't notice any markings. I bolted it into the cart last night, so I can't tell now. I'm not really inspired to remove it from the cart unless some hand writing might be of known value. Your emoticon suggests you wouldn't unbolt it either.

TJ
Old 07-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
Typically with Curtis products the -### digits indicate ratings. The part number you posted is a 0-5K throttle with 3sec accel with a 225A drive rating and 120A plug current rating and no HPD.

The image posted is speaking of upgrades. They add more FETS or replace the ones present with those rated at higher current then change out some logic hardware to establish the new current rating. A remanufactured control would still have its original board rev so a 'New' control has more current capability if it has an updated build of material and board rev.
So it sounds like this controller originally had a rating of 225A, probably still has a rating of 225A, but could possibly have something higher but there really is no way to know. Is that correct?

TJ
Old 07-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #6
mjroman20
Gone Wild

It is odd that the FSIP label does not have the current rating. A vast majority of them do. I looked at their catalog and there are only two listings RP and RX orders. Both of these are reman units, and both are listed only as 225A. So they likely do not offer anything other than that. By process of elimination (be it only one choice) if you got it from Flight it's going to be 225A.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #7
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

FSIP does not do upgrades. They rebuild it the way it was manufactured. It's 225 amp. even if you send them one that has been upgraded they will rebuild it back to stock. Some other companies will upgrade them, however they would have removed the FSIP sticker and attached their sticker.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:30 AM   #8
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

So far, your assessment of the responses to your request for "any thoughts on how to figure out what it is" is entirely correct.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
greg-g
Gone Wild

Sometimes the answers here are way off take a 1204-410 FSIP Will take your old controller rebuild it to stock or a 400 amp unit for the same price. control boards on series controllers do not need to be reprogrammed. They go from full power to 0 stator and 0 armature in a linear fashion. I am not sure about the 408 controller
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #10
thetoddjohnson
Gone Wild

Tag50's thoughts about possible other markings was nagging at me, so I pulled the controller and looked all over it. The only thing on it is the attached sticker, which clearly indicates a rating of 400A. I hereby would like to nominate myself for the biggest-jackass-of-the-day.

TJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSIP controller label.jpg (250.8 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car