lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #11
crash test dummy

Default Re: 1996 TXT kingpin and bishings.

yea ...
it is strange how things are done in the cart world .. my work cart (96 txt) had the single king pin tube
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-19-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok so I took my spindle with the stuck in kingpin to the dealer. Said the bushings once installed in the spindle need to be reamed out to allow the kingpin to freely slide through them. So now I need to press my king pin out and get the "ream" the bushings??? Just like I thought when they are driven into the spindle the inner diameter shrunk enough to make it a tight press fit in the spindle.
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #13
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Stopped by my buddies shop today got the spindle to the press. Took about 5 mins to find stuff to support the spindle level. And about 1.5 mins to press the king pin back out.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about in this job ? The part about reaming out the bushings? Is there a special bit or is it like just x" drill bit on a press?

I'm to the point now I have bushings in the spindle (one a bit inside the spindle and not flush) and have to get the clearance right to get the king pin in. Does anyone know the specs of the diameter of the inner of the bushings? Is it in a service manual?
Old 07-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #14
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

Yes a reamer is a special bit there are tapered versions and straight versions. Just type reamer into Amazon to see what I mean. You'll want a straight one. you might be able to use a regular bit, but you run the risk of it getting to much bit and spinning the bushing or leaving it all chewed up.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:41 PM   #15
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Yes a reamer is a special bit there are tapered versions and straight versions. Just type reamer into Amazon to see what I mean. You'll want a straight one. you might be able to use a regular bit, but you run the risk of it getting to much bit and spinning the bushing or leaving it all chewed up.
So what size? Or what should the clearance be between the king pin and bushing?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:06 PM   #16
Filthy-Beast
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, don't know for this application. If you have or can get a hold of an accurate micrometer caliper you could measure the pin's OD and the busing's ID.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #17
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Sorry, don't know for this application. If you have or can get a hold of an accurate micrometer caliper you could measure the pin's OD and the busing's ID.
I have a caliper. It's pretty accurate but even with a good micrometer, what is the clearance I am looking for? This king pin is a known diameter. So I just have to ream the bushing out to that size plus .001" or whatever the spec is. We're just looking for that number.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:05 AM   #18
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

i know this is a "not the best way of fixing it" kind of deal. but, i have taken a old, but not too worn out "inner shaft" (kingpin tube in your situation) and cut a groove down the side with a cut-off disc in a die grinder. twist the new "cleaner-upper tool" through both bushings to do a poor-mans line-bore job. i once had a helluva time with some super stubborn brass/bronze club car spindle bushings and did this (and had a surplus of club car worn out used stuff to chop on).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:56 AM   #19
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
i know this is a "not the best way of fixing it" kind of deal. but, i have taken a old, but not too worn out "inner shaft" (kingpin tube in your situation) and cut a groove down the side with a cut-off disc in a die grinder. twist the new "cleaner-upper tool" through both bushings to do a poor-mans line-bore job. i once had a helluva time with some super stubborn brass/bronze club car spindle bushings and did this (and had a surplus of club car worn out used stuff to chop on).
does the groove allow it too do the "cutting" . Since the old king pin I beat into it and had to press back out it was so tight.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #20
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

yes.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO