lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-20-2016, 01:39 PM   #1
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Additional help needed after checking things out

2006 club car precedent 48v, 6 crown batteries appear to be 2-4 years old. I checked the cells, the plates don't look new by any stretch, water is good level on all, electrolyte ranged between 1.22-1.24 the next morning after being on the charger started at 9pm. The charger is club car and when you plug it in it takes a second or two then goes to full (15amps) and it gets as high as 58-60vdc while charging. It takes several hours and the amps do lower like normal and it shuts off.. Then if I unplug charger and plug back in it goes to full charge again for a little bit then shuts off.
I think that's normal.
I did notice the batteries are all bulging a little.. The plastic cases are no longer flat on the sides, like they swelled a little, but it seems like that on all of them. I checked them individually when I checked gravity and all seem to be 8.14-8.2v.

Speed sensor check appears normal.
Breaks are not binding.
The solenoid contacts are open and when they do close there is no voltage drop across them.
The resistor across it reads 240ohms.
I have just a trickle current draw through bank when not running and I read 30a surge when tires try to get to full speed (on jack stands) and then settles out to 20amps

The throttle appears smooth and I can tell speed change in wheels as well as amps. No burnt or looses connections.

GPS shows only 8-10mph on flat and maybe 11-12 down hill.

Did I miss anything?

This cart currently is used on my subdivision street but come spring goes to a permanent camp site for season in Keyesport IL with rocky roads and hills. 4 people will probably be on it 50% of the time. I'm not looking to lift it up at this time as I don't take it off roading. But if that's necessary for speed then I will add that to the list.

I want max speed/torque out of it and am willing to spend some money to be happy with it. What I don't want to do is to spend money on upgrades only and find the first upgrade isn't compatible with the latest. At the same time I want to spend money in phases.

1. So what would be the order of things I need to check that I missed?
2. what is the order of things to spend money on and not waste it as I upgrade again and again?
3. suggestions on brands/locations to buy from online?

There are some many experts that have gone through what I'm doing right now and hopefully are willing to share with a new friend.
jhandshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Additional help needed after checking things out

Check the year of the batteries.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just so everyone is on the same page, post serial number. Pictures of cart and battery bay would be nice. What if anything do you know of it's history? 12v batteries or 8v?
As you can see by the chart, the batteries are week and not charging to 100%. The next step IMO would be to do several back to back charges to see if they come up a little in case they have been ignored. Likely won't help but it's basically free. After charging clip digital volt meter leads on main positive and negative and drive cart. Note the voltage drop and post the results here. This is essentially a load test.
Current slow speed is likely a combination of week batteries and software restriction. A Precedent with proper batteries and adjusted software will make 19-20 mph on standard tires on the flats under optimum conditions. There are a lot of options for more speed after that but the first thing is a solid foundation to build on and that is the BATTERIES and HIGH CURRENT CABLES.

Once you decide on what you want in the end the CC experts will have suggestions on how to get there.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
Just so everyone is on the same page, post serial number. Pictures of cart and battery bay would be nice. What if anything do you know of it's history? 12v batteries or 8v?
As you can see by the chart, the batteries are week and not charging to 100%. The next step IMO would be to do several back to back charges to see if they come up a little in case they have been ignored. Likely won't help but it's basically free. After charging clip digital volt meter leads on main positive and negative and drive cart. Note the voltage drop and post the results here. This is essentially a load test.
Current slow speed is likely a combination of week batteries and software restriction. A Precedent with proper batteries and adjusted software will make 19-20 mph on standard tires on the flats under optimum conditions. There are a lot of options for more speed after that but the first thing is a solid foundation to build on and that is the BATTERIES and HIGH CURRENT CABLES.

Once you decide on what you want in the end the CC experts will have suggestions on how t get there.

Oops, forgot chart. Here it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3..jpg (43.1 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for responding guys..
The battery date is a little hard to judge, according to others ether here or on the web, "crown" uses like 7 numbers and I have more than that but I belive they're either 2012 and 2014's.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #6
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Lookin at the 4th and 5th digits this one is 2012 o believe.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #7
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here's my SN it's a PQ

And here is the battery bank

Also I forgot to adj the specific gravity,, those numbers of 1.22-1.24 were with batteries about 60deg that morning. Also I have a digital meter attached to the bank that's on with the key and while it's running going ip slight incline it goes as low as 44v and then come back up to around 46-49.. This is right after it gets off the charger as well.

When the charger comes on within 30 seconds I can hear all the batteries bubbling and just now put charger back on and it was running 60v and 5 amps on charger scale.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

History on this cart is it belonged yo an older couple that lived up at the campsite in Keyesport and they moved and have no need for it. They thought the cart was a 12 or 14 year and I new nothin about carts. No internet to confirm and I had no reason they were trying to hide anything, I think they were referring to maybe when a couple of batteries were replaced or even the obc has 12 date code on it. So I think they were confused.
I know the batteries were completely dead so the charger wouldn't work so someone took them up to some place to have them charged individually and then the main charger was used.

The cart has street legal lights, seat belt, mirror, and water fill system is on it.

I installed back flip seat, heavy rear springs, a speed sensor, volt meter in dash in place of yellow light and a dashboard kit to cover open compartments.. I've got $2700 in it total now.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #9
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Old 11-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
jhandshy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I'm guessing I need to start with the ground floor up.. 6 new batteries and it would make sense to change all the cables then to heavier gauge 4 maybe? Would it make sense then to remove the battery fill system or clean it up good and reuse it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car