lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #1
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default What makes a series motor 36volt or 48volt??

In my series motor swap, I've accumulated some mismatched parts. The motors are identical except one is 36 volt and one is 48 volt. I have a 36 volt motor that I think has a bad armature. I also have a 48 volt motor with a good armature. What makes the motor 36 volt or 48 volt? Is it the armature, the windings in the housing or both? If you mix and match what determines the motor voltage? I know the answer is out there. Thanks in advance.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Seaquell
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What makes a series motor 36volt or 48volt??

Hmm thats a good question, I will be following this thread .
Maybe we can learn something new
Seaquell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:55 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

These motors are built/configured to do a certain task at a certain voltage/amperage threshold. The way a motor is wound will determine how many RPMs it will generate at a known load (weight in our case). The tires all start out at the same diameter and the differential gears are also a constant, therefore, you build the motor to spin at a certain RPM to propel the vehicle a certain speed.

The fun part is when you change the rules. Like, putting 48v to a motor built for 36v - resulting in a higher RPM output. Tires and gears remain the same, but the cart goes faster simply because the motor spins faster. The other side of the coin works too if your cart is newer and already has a 48v pack. Find a 36v motor and swap it in. These are great upgrades. Of course, there are other components that need changing, but you get the basic idea.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

But what do you have if you put an armature out of a 36 volt motor in a 48 volt case? What do you get with a 48 volt armature in a 36 volt case?
Old 02-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

i would say you would have the same as a 36volt motor on 48 volt cart. thats what i ran in my ds for years . you should gain more rpms which in turn will be more power . now if its a 36 volt cart with a 48 volt armature to me there would be no increase of power .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
But what do you have if you put an armature out of a 36 volt motor in a 48 volt case? What do you get with a 48 volt armature in a 36 volt case?
The 48 volt case is longer, as is the armature. They're not interchangeable. As for the physical differences in the windings, I'm not sure.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:49 AM   #7
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
The 48 volt case is longer, as is the armature. They're not interchangeable. As for the physical differences in the windings, I'm not sure.
Dawg I missed that. I had one in the garage and one up in my shop. I would have bet money they were the same length. There is an inch difference like you said. I would still like to understand what makes one 36 and the other 48. I'll bet understanding it is the key to Robbie's success at PQ.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The 48v or 36v is just a parameter on the Motor design.

Motors are designed to generate a certain torque at a specific "base speed" when powered by a certain voltage.

The Armature is then designed to generate a certain amount of mV per revolution so at the specified "base speed" the Motor achieves a Back EMF balance from the Magnetic field generated by the Stator coil.

On a Series motor, the same Armature current also flows through the Stator coil, so the length, gauge and number of turns of the Stator coil is specifically designed to generate the magnetic field needed by the Armature in order to achieve the balance at the "base speed".

Even if it was physically possible to mix the parts, You may end up with a motor that could never achieve its "base speed" and burn itself in the process.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think this is what Sergio said: http://ecmweb.com/motors/understandi...te-information
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car