lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Toolmaker Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Trailer for golf cart

Would you tow your golf cart on a 5' x 8' trailer with a GVWR of 2000 lbs? My 2009 Precedent has a rear seat. I could back my cart on the trailer and let the rear seat foot rest go over the front railing of the trailer. The trailer I'm looking at has a payload of 1600 lbs. The axel has a 2000 lb rating. My truck is a small Nissan pickup so I'm trying to eliminate any extra eight.
Toolmaker Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Trailer for golf cart

Most golf carts with batteries weigh about 1300lbs. The rear seat adds maybe 40lbs...so with 2000lb axle and a 1600gvw you are still o.k. You need to watch your tongue weight especially with a smaller pick-up...plus you need to know the weight capabilities of the hitch. Is the hitch a bumper mount or a frame mount? What size ball. All these things make a difference. Also if it is a used trailer make the bearings and hubs are in good shape and the bearings are freshly packed. Have the tires inspected for cracks and age. All things that normally seem to get ignored.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
hunter99
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Trailer for golf cart

Most 5x8 trailers seem to have the axle placed that when a golf cart is loaded the batteries will sit just in front of the axle. This is when the cart is just pulled straight on. That's fine as it's putting the load on on and slightly in front of the axle which is the ideal location for the majority of the weight.

Been looking at 5x8 and 5x9 trailers myself for transport.

Last edited by hunter99; 08-30-2017 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: spelling
hunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
sminker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Im assuming this is a smaller trailer. Wire mesh with small loading gate? Not a wood platform. Probably smaller tires. Just be careful. Smaller trailers normally have smaller tires. Not rated for much over 60mph. Might seem OK towing at 65-70, but those smaller tires are spinning way faster than your truck tires will be. Causes excess heat that leads to blow outs. You can get pretty decent new trailers for about $1000-$1200 with wood platforms, loading ramps and the tires should be close to the size of your pickup.

Your weight will be fine. Tongue weight should be around 15-20% of total load. So if you load to 2000lbs your sitting around 400lbs of tongue weight. If its a bumper mounted ball you need to look closely at the load capacity. Normally the tongue weight of bumper hitches are posted right by the ball. If its a frame mounted hitch you will be fine with the tongue weight. Load to the front. 60%+ of the total load weight should be in front of the trailer tires. Get to that 20% tongue weight to help prevent sway. Backing onto the trailer would be the safest bet with smaller trailers and pickups.

When loaded the truck and trailer should be level all the way across, or slightly leaning into each other. If the nose of the trailer is high and the back is low it will lead to sway and your golf cart flopping down the street. Nose down if not level.
sminker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Toolmaker Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The trailer that I'm considering is sold by Tractor Supply. It does have a wire mesh floor and 13" tires. I would put two 2"x10"x8' boards on the floor of the trailer for the golf cart wheels to ride on. I wouldn't want to trust that wire mesh floor to support the weight of the golf cart.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Precedent is 500lbs without batteries. 4x12V adds about 350lbs while 6x8V adds roughly 400lbs.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the wire mesh floor won't support the weight of a little golf cart, don't buy it! That is just sad. Since you are towing behind a pickup, I would go for a 6' wide trailer. Way more useful [and you WILL get jobs for it], a lawntractor with a 54" deck fits, and since it is 6' wide it is WAY easier to back up as you can see it in your mirrors.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
sminker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker Bob View Post
The trailer that I'm considering is sold by Tractor Supply. It does have a wire mesh floor and 13" tires. I would put two 2"x10"x8' boards on the floor of the trailer for the golf cart wheels to ride on. I wouldn't want to trust that wire mesh floor to support the weight of the golf cart.
Those trailers work really well for local driving and a little highway. I would be hesitant driving long distance. Wouldn't think twice about buying one if I was staying in local metro areas. If you want to put wood down just a couple 2x10s the length of the trailer under the tires would be fine. No need to do the whole thing.

See if you have a trailers plus or northern tool around you. They sell good trailers for a decent price. Northern Tool is a little cheaper but Trailers Plus has two years free inspection and minor maintenance with all trailers.
sminker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

If it has a mesh tail gate you will collapse it with the cart loading the cart. If you have someone weld some steel on the gate where the wheels run you will be ok.
Ha a friend collapse his gate with a motor cycle. He put wood floor in trailer and I welded supports on the gate and braces on the tounge..
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #10
Toolmaker Bob
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have two 2"x10"x7' long ramps that I would use to load & unload golf cart. There wouldn't be any weight on tail gate.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car