lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
reddirt41
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Speed Controller Replacment Difference From Original

First thanks to all who make this a great place for information. I just joined recently and love it. I bought a replacement controller off ebay and it said it would replace my Curtis 1204-009. When I installed it all wire connections went back and were just like the old one except the new one has a place for what looks to be a 4 pin connector. My 1991 cart does not have a wire to connect to the 4 pin connector and with the new controller it will click but not move. My old controller would work but had very weak take off until it got up speed, then it was fine. Any advice would be appreciated.
reddirt41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed Controller Replacment Difference From Original

Can you post pictures or better, model # of the two controllers?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
reddirt41
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'll go pull the new one and post a picture soon. Thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt41 View Post
I'll go pull the new one and post a picture soon. Thanks
Model #s would be quite helpful...to ensure you have the correct control.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
reddirt41
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

[attach]IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg Here are some pictures of the old and new' Thanks

IMG_1361.jpg The white connector is the 4 pin I mentioned but I found another pin on the other side that is not on the old one

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg[/attach]
Old 03-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'm not a curtis controller expert but, it looks like it should work. Maybe somebody else will see something else? The 4 pin plug you are asking about is the controller program connection. No worries there unless it is set for a different throttle?
Old 03-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My guess is that it is programmed for an ITS type throttle and you have a 0-5kΩ throttle.

Here us a manual for a 1204M
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1204m1205m_n.pdf (816.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

reddirt41

You went from an old obsolete PMC that was configured for an absolute purpose from the factory, to a more modern controller that is not configured for anything as delivered.

What you bought is not even a genuine Curtis controller. China has been building and selling Curtis clones on eBay that look genuine to the average person. One of those cases where China stole intellectual property from Curtis after Curtis set up factories in China to make their controllers and programmers. It will not perform as well as a genuine Curtis controller, but it may serve your purpose. It will not pass the rated current that the model number is rated for. You can file a claim with eBay for a return/refund if you alert them that you were sold a counterfeit product. I can recognize a clone just by looking at the label. I was an OEM under contract with Curtis for well over a decade. The serial number is not in the correct format. It was built in one of the former Curtis factories that is now under Chinese government control. If you decide to keep it, read on...

Modern controllers designed for a particular cart/motor configuration come from the factory with a VCL (Vehicle Control Language) that configures the controllers with presets to work for the intended application, right out of the box. You can only buy those through the cart manufacturer or a dealer of theirs.

When you buy a "compatible" controller from another source, it comes equipped with an ultra basic VCL, one that is not configured for your specific application.

You'll need to configure, or have someone else configure, your controller to be compatible with your cart. That requires a Curtis programming station, or a Curtis diagnostic handset that plugs into that 4 pin connector on the controller. Use that to set up the controller to work with your carts specific hardware. Let us know where you are, someone with a Curtis handset or programming station may be near you.

I hope this helps.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #9
reddirt41
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Johnnie and Bob for your help. I am in south GA the Valdosta area. I will call around tomorrow and see if I can find someone. Bob if you have a suggestion of who to call it would be appreciated. I generally know better than to buy products such as these but sometimes cheap seems like a good idea. My experience buying cheap products usually cost more in the long run.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt41 View Post
Thanks Johnnie and Bob for your help. I am in south GA the Valdosta area. I will call around tomorrow and see if I can find someone. Bob if you have a suggestion of who to call it would be appreciated. I generally know better than to buy products such as these but sometimes cheap seems like a good idea. My experience buying cheap products usually cost more in the long run.
My suggestion would be to return the "Curtis" controller, and buy an Alltrax SepEx controller...

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/alltrax-xct-sepex--.html

You'll be much happier in the end with a controller that puts you in control of what you want your cart to do. Scottyb is the best for support, so you can't go wrong.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO