lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
tcorrell02
Not Yet Wild

Default 04 precedent tail light wiring issues

I have an 04 precedent with an unknown light kit with turn brake and horn. 1 tail didn't work at all so I ordered a new basic kit. Plugs have been cut off tail light harness so I figured just use spade connecters and be all good. wrong!!
I will start by saying that I have not put a meter on anything yet, just a test light. With light switch off I have power to 2 wires on both sides? Drivers side has more power than passenger side. Lights are brighter on test light. When I turn light switch on, driver side has 1 bright and 1 regular light and passenger has only 1 regular light. I am lost. I figure all wires should be dead with switch off. Any help would be amazing.

Update, finally put a meter to it. Brighter light wires show 25v and dimmer light wires show 12.7-13v
tcorrell02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 04 precedent tail light wiring issues

First of all, welcome to the forum!

It is not very easy to diagnose from afar but let's see what you've got.

Your lights (front and tail), turn signals and the horn will all operate off 12V. Ideally, this 12V should come from a 48V-12V reducer (because then all the power comes from the whole battery pack and the batteries will stay balanced). However, because you have 4x12V batteries many people just use one of the batteries to supply the 12V (not ideal because that means that one battery is being run down more than the others so the pack will be unbalanced).

If you have one wire supplying 12-13V and another supplying 25V it sounds like the wiring is screwed up so that some is coming from one 12V battery and the other is coming from two 12V batteries. This is likely to be caused by the negative of the side with 25V being connected to the wrong battery.

The best fix is to install a 48V-12V reducer and then run all the lights etc from that. In the meantime, you can trace the wires back from the lights, horn and turn signals to ensure that all the positives connect to the positive post of one battery and all the negatives are connected to the negative post of the SAME battery.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #3
tcorrell02
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
First of all, welcome to the forum!

It is not very easy to diagnose from afar but let's see what you've got.

Your lights (front and tail), turn signals and the horn will all operate off 12V. Ideally, this 12V should come from a 48V-12V reducer (because then all the power comes from the whole battery pack and the batteries will stay balanced). However, because you have 4x12V batteries many people just use one of the batteries to supply the 12V (not ideal because that means that one battery is being run down more than the others so the pack will be unbalanced).

If you have one wire supplying 12-13V and another supplying 25V it sounds like the wiring is screwed up so that some is coming from one 12V battery and the other is coming from two 12V batteries. This is likely to be caused by the negative of the side with 25V being connected to the wrong battery.

The best fix is to install a 48V-12V reducer and then run all the lights etc from that. In the meantime, you can trace the wires back from the lights, horn and turn signals to ensure that all the positives connect to the positive post of one battery and all the negatives are connected to the negative post of the SAME battery.

Ok I will admit, I am a total idiot. Everytime I would check power or voltage, I would just use neg post of.the closest battery, hence high voltage. Slept.on it and rechecked this morning and all is good.
tcorrell02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:41 PM   #4
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Change the twilight out. Then report back. Or send 12v direct to light that is currently out to discover if the light is faulty or the harness is.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:31 AM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcorrell02 View Post
Ok I will admit, I am a total idiot. Everytime I would check power or voltage, I would just use neg post of.the closest battery, hence high voltage. Slept.on it and rechecked this morning and all is good.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car