lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2018, 11:24 PM   #1
Wiggib
Not Yet Wild

Default Club Car Precedent I2 hf chg won’t charge

Ok I have a Club Car Precedent I2 hf chg. Serial number JE1411-445307. As the title says it won’t charge. All batteries load test good and have 8 volts on them, and pack voltage is at 48 volts. All fuses are now good the one to the positive wire on the charging receptical was blown but is now replaced. That said this unit still won’t charge I have read about how people are bypassing the onboard computer by running a ground from battery 6 negative to the ground on the charging receptical. This unit doesn’t have an OBC the red wire coming from the charging plug goes straight to the solenoid and has a fuse in the wire (this was the fuse that was blown). The black wire goes straight to the controller. Then the blue wire goes to another blue wire in the main wiring harness connecting with a spade connector ( this wire has 39 volts on it ). This unit has been tried on two different chargers neither of them worked. The cart still drives fine forward and revers work as expected it just won’t charge. Any thoughts?
Wiggib is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Precedent I2 hf chg won’t charge

You have an ERIC charging system so it is not the same. Your charger is actually automated and is why there is no OBC to control it.

Sounds like you have checked everything I can think of, so lets see if Sergio or someone else has another idea as it sounds to me like the charger shorted/failed.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am surprised that You were able to blow the 30 amps fuse on the charging circuit.

Measure the voltage on the front of the cart charging receptacle to make sure you get the exactly same voltage as Your pack voltage.

When You say "This unit has been tried...", You are referring to the cart right?

You need to stop driving the cart, at 8v the batteries are below 50% capacity already.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
Wiggib
Not Yet Wild

The voltage at the charging receptical shows pack voltage on the red wire then 39 on the blue wire.

When I said the unit had been tried I meant that two different chargers had been tried on it and neither succeeded in charging the cart, they aren’t even turning on once plugged in.

Not sure how the batteries are below 50% there are 6 8 volt batteries that are all 8 volts for a combined pack voltage of 48, anyway the cart is definitely not being driven until we figure out a solution.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

A fully charged 48v pack is around 51v, look at this chart in the post below:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ml#post1426529
The blue wire is not involved and has no effect on charging with ERIC charging system.

Only an ERIC charger will work on that cart, no powerdrive type chargers will work.

Did You try multiple ERIC chargers?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Wiggib
Not Yet Wild

Good to know makes sense now thank you. So I was not aware that this cart took a different charger than a power drive. Making the arrangements to get the charger that is normally used for this cart. It’s a friends cart and said that the normal charger is mounted in place where the cart is parked this would be why the power drive got sent to me. That said multiple ERIC chargers were not tried I’m sure now that the charger is probably the issue. Just for the sake of learning something what does ERIC mean and how is this charger different? Just curious now.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The OBC charging system is a "split" system.

The external Powerdrive box is just a "power supply" and it cannot charge by itself.

The OBC activates the Powerdrive box and it regulates the charging current based on the information it has accumulated by measuring the energy removed from the batteries since last time they were charged.

The E.R.I.C. (a cheesy acronym from Club Car) is a "complete" charger that uses the latest electronics instead of the huge transformers used in previous Club Car charging systems.

The ERIC charger (a re-branded Delta-Q IC charger) plugs directly to any 48v pack and handles all of the charging algorithm.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Wiggib
Not Yet Wild

I got the original charger for the cart and it turned out to be toast. Got a new one from Revolution Golf Cars and got it charging again. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Like to hear the good news....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car