lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

Default 36v EZGO TXT Series low torque but gets up to speed

Hey guys. I have a cart that I've brought back to life recently. I feel like it should have a little more torque than it does today. It does have larger wheels and tires, brand new batteries (6-6v), and brand new 2 gauge battery wires.

The cart seems to have the correct top speed. Here is what brought the issue to my attention. My garage has about a 1.5" step up from the driveway into the garage. So about the height of a 2x4 laying flat. If my cart is up against that edge and I hit the peddle, it almost doesn't make it up that little step.

The cart appears to have a stock Curtis controller and solenoid.

Going by the description, what can I check off the list?

Solenoid - Either works or doesn't right?
Controller - Not sure how the controller works. Could it not be sending enough power initially?
Speed sensor - Not sure hot to troubleshoot this yet. assuming i have one.
Motor - I'm hoping it's fine since it does get up to speed.
Motor brushes - Maybe these aren't making good contact?
Stingray240CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v EZGO TXT Series low torque but gets up to speed

What’s the actual size of f your tires? Not the number printed on the sidewall, but the actual size. These carts, in stock configuration, are going to suffer trying to turn larger tires. Speed wise, you’ll get more, but torque wise, you’ll get less.

I wouldn’t think 1 1/5” should be an issue, but you’ll need one of the experts to chime in. Another piece of info to help them would be to test it up a hill where you can get a more sustained look at its torque struggles. Check pack voltage while going up a good hill, then check whether you have any high current cables getting hot, or even the controller.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

I'll have to check when I get home. Here is a picture of them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Those look pretty beefy, but the actual numbers will be most helpful. Also, let them know air pressure. Some of those tires run at a low pressure, which makes it worse.

Is the cart, or are the tires, new to you? Is the problem new? Along with testing pack voltage up the hill to rule that out, giving some actual speed numbers would be helpful. You can get a free gps app for your phone.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

I bought the cart needing batteries so I'm not sure how it ran before. It was $200 so I thought I would take a chance. I put the lift, tires, wheels, and batteries on all at the same time. It seemed to have low torque from the get go. I added 2 gauge battery wires and that didn't help. So now I'm hoping to eliminate things off the list to make things easier.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

Picture of controller and solenoid.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

A couple more notes. This cart had a back seat and the heavy duty leaf springs in the back. I don't currently have the back seat installed. It needs some restoration or to be replaced. I think it may have been used at events.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
noxin
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Did you replace all high current wires with 2 gauge. Hard for me to tell from the close up on your controller if those are replacements.
noxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #9
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

I only replaced the battery wires. I didn't think i needed to replace the other high current wires since I was using stock controller.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:58 PM   #10
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

From my humble opinion, I think you did great getting a running cart for 200.

I believe that controller is only 250 amps. Check tire size/pressure, voltage up the hill and if any of the high current pathway (all cables, f/r, solenoid, motor) is getting hot and post that info.

Even if you don’t have an issue now, you’re going to be asking too much of that cart. It was originally designed to haul a couple of guys around the golf course at about 12-14 mph. Decide what you want it to be able to do. You obviously want it lifted and to have big tires. You also mentioned a backseat, which means you’ll sometimes be carrying 4 people. Those things alone are too much for that cart in its current state. The good news: you can turn it in to a beast. The bad news: it costs a bit of money. More good news: if you have any mechanical ability, you can do it all yourself.

Some upgrade ideas in somewhat of an order:

-New alltrax controller. I’d get the 500 with the fan
-upgraded solenoid.
-heavy duty f/r. I’d get the reversing contactor, which gets rid of the rotary switch.
-48v pack.

You said you already got 2g cables. If you want to go to 48v the cables have to be longer. You can sell your 36v ones.

Just FYI- You can run your current motor on 48v and decide later if it needs to be upgraded

Not sure if you’re interested in spending the $ for the above, but with what you’ve already done to the cart, some of it is pretty necessary. Go here for some great info and the best products, prices and customer service. http://www.cartsunlimited.net

Btw- chase that speaker wire through the roof strut👍
Oh, and welcome to the addiction😀
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO