lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
sunnydays
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default I need advice

I just today purchased a 2011 ds iq cart and it has a power drive 3 charger. When I got home I plugged it in and it did start charging at 15 amps, after a half hour it was down to 8 amps and this is where my concern is. I checked the batteries and they were all bubbling and I certainly don't want to cook them so I pulled the plug from the wall. The plug itself was so hot I started to burn my fingers. It alarmed me and I'm wondering what could be wrong or should I just move on to a new charger. I don't know that much about the cart other than it is an iq, don't know if it has an obc or if it has been by passed . The batteries are 9-16 and seem to be in good health by checking the voltage pack. the serial is AQ1120-195261.I appreciate any input or help you can give me . Thanks
sunnydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Default Re: I need advice

it is very common to go up to 16 hours for an initial charge if the batteries are mildly discharged
fill level for golf cart batteries is 1/4'' over the plates, bubbling is part of the charging process, bubbling over the top is a sign of over filled batteries
the plug hot enough to burn you is not normal, i'd unplug the charger from the wall and plug/unplug the battery 10 times to see if you have corrosion on the cord end or receptacle. if the cord is broken and frayed at the wires, it may be time for a new cord. mine is broken at the insulation but i have had no problem in 4 years with heat. when unplugging the charger from the cart while charging, slowly pull the plug out, the short terminal will break contact before the big charging terminals, turning of the charger. spraying the plug with wd-40 should be part of your yearly maintenance and is in the lubrication schedule, makes it easy to plug/unplug the battery
that may be the only issue
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
sunnydays
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The plug I am referring to in the original thread is the plug that goes to the wall . It is extremely hot, but in any case what could cause that kind of heat? It did not throw the breaker so I don't believe I have a wire shorting out. thank you for your reply ogre
Old 08-17-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I think what he is saying is if the charging port (cart side) and plug end (from charger) are not making good contact it will create heat.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

DO NOT use this charger!
Don't mess around with an house plug in that gets hot ! This plug has a bad connection which can cause fire. If you are not able to make electrical plug repairs take it to some one who can. Tell them it gets too hot to touch when plugged in.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
sunnydays
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

thank you guys, I can make plug repairs but wanted to get a consensus and an understanding where to look. will check all plug ends tomorrow and if I am still not comfortable, will call Scottyb to work his magic with a new charger.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You Need to have an electrician check that outlet. Most of the time a hot plug is due to a damaged or worn outlet.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
You Need to have an electrician check that outlet. Most of the time a hot plug is due to a damaged or worn outlet.
I guess he could plug the charger into a different outlet and determine if it's the cord end or the receptacle.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #9
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Were you using a extension cord?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:28 AM   #10
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

my bad. i assumed you were talking the battery plug

battery charger draws less than 10 amps at wide open, any household receptacle should easily handle that
try another outlet, if it the plug gets hot, change the cord, any appliance cord from home depot will work

from the 03 cc w/ power driver 2 manual
Each electric vehicle is supplied with a fully automatic battery charger as standard equipment. The AC cord to
each charger is to be connected to a source capable of supplying 10 amperes minimum per charger.
To reduce the risk of electric shock, the battery charger must be grounded. The charger is equipped with an
AC electric cord having an equipment-grounding conductor and a grounding type plug. The AC plug must be
connected to an appropriate receptacle that is properly installed and grounded in accordance with the
National Electrical Code and all local codes and ordinances. See the owner’s manual supplied with the
charger for specific operating instructions before using the charger.
The use of an extension cord with the charger should be avoided. If an extension cord must be used, use a
three-conductor no. 12 AWG (American Wire Gauge) or no. 14 SWG (British Standard Wire Gauge), heavyduty
cord with ground, properly wired and in good electrical condition. Keep it as short as possible (no more
than 12 feet (3.7 m)). Place all cords so they will not be stepped on, tripped over, or otherwise subject to damage
or stress.
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car