lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #11
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How do you know when to stop driving?

if i may chime in here.. Im curious myself as to what kind of voltage to look for while cruising.. if i have the skinny pedal all the way down after a full charge itll sit at about 48.6-8 flat out .. and one the batteries start to drain ive had it down to 47.0 flat out but is that bad ?
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2018, 09:13 AM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

The charge percentage is calculated by the controller and reads out on the SOC display. There is a calibration factor in the controller, set to 80 A/H (50% SOC) by default. This assumes a battery bank of near 160 A/H (4 12 volt batteries in series, 155 A/H typical). That value can be reprogrammed to increase the accuracy of the SOC guage. As batteries age, their A/H capacity drops, hence the inaccuracies caused by the default value. The controller does a pretty good job of keeping track of consumed A/H. It tries to calculate pack A/H through repeated charge/discharge cycles, but it does not internally adjust the 50% SOC starting setpoint. If you change batteries to a different A/H capacity, that setpoint should be changed. My SOC guage is working great with my lithium pack now.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #13
69Stang
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandyturbo View Post
Mine does the same thing. Full charge shows 92%
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSLINGER250 View Post
I have that meter mine shows 100% full charge but drops fast only after about 5 miles or so. It drops to about 78-80% but stays there for a while before dropping any lower. I also hooked a volt meter to read voltage compared to the meter it's pretty spot on so far.
Thanks. I also checked mine against the actual battery charge and it's correct. Just shows 91%, which is a little irritating for what this thing costs.

I'm going to get with the seller and see what he says. If anything changes I'll post back.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #14
69Stang
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry, missed the last 2 posts.

Gallachera89, I don't think you can rely on the gauge when driving. Mine is all over the place with I drive flat out. Someone smarter than may know for sure.

BobBoyce, so you're saying we just need to live with the percentage it shows? Your information is great, but whoosh, it went right over my head ;)
Old 10-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #15
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallachera89 View Post
if i may chime in here.. Im curious myself as to what kind of voltage to look for while cruising.. if i have the skinny pedal all the way down after a full charge itll sit at about 48.6-8 flat out .. and one the batteries start to drain ive had it down to 47.0 flat out but is that bad ?
You're looking at the voltage while under load it sounds like. The OP is talking about voltage readings after the batteries have had time to settle or bounce back from being under a load. That's the number you want to keep from going below the 48.4V (50% SOC).
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallachera89 View Post
Those numbers sound pretty nice to me (for top speed cruising). Not bad at all.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Gallachera89
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Those numbers sound pretty nice to me (for top speed cruising). Not bad at all.
awesome thank you

and thank you 69Stang

NCPW

Im aware, i should have been more specific, i dont believe mine has ever gone below 49 to be honest.. I usually determine when i need to head home while cruising .. If im wide open and the meter is reading 47.0v i know i am at about 75%ish and i know i should probably head in .. just wasn't sure if there was any correlation in the 2
Gallachera89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #18
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

When I had my RXV built I went with this setup forgoing the factory gage or similar ones altogether. Both of these are wired directly to the battery pack and on all the time. They could be switched but I chose not to.

The segmented gage is generally maligned on this forum but this one is the Curtis model 906. When the factories (EZGO, CC or Yamaha) install a battery gage on their carts it is generally this one. It is pretty much standard equipment on the thousands of carts in the city I live in. They have worked fine for me on several carts over 18 years. I tell people that drive the cart that if they are not already returning bring the cart back to its' charger when the gage reads half.

The digital meters are technically more accurate because they are displaying actual volts. The problem with them is they are near instantaneous and cycle while your driving. You also have to stop and let the battery pack stabilize for about 15 minutes to get an accurate reading of actual state of charge and then you have to memorize the chart or tape a copy to the dash or something. I think it is good to have it however, because you can use it to monitor the packs' general health. The women and house guests that use my cart object to it with enthusiasm.

I put this chart on the windshield. After 2+ years nobody has ever asked what it was or ever looked at it far as I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0368.jpg (410.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0547.jpg (387.8 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #19
69Stang
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's what I got back form the seller about only showing 91%:

"about 3% each battery not getting not getting fully charged ! I will bet that your charger only is a 13 amp out put !
It takes a 15 to 20 amp chargers to bring batteries up to 100% .. . Been through this subject many times .
I build custom golf carts primarily working with RXVs ,. I have two transformer base chargers I use 15 amp . Brings most batteries up to 100% .. depending on age and condition..
feel free to call me if you like ."

He's correct about my charger, only 13 amps out.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO