lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default LED upgrade

I cannot seem to find this exact scenario through the search so I'm going to start a new thread to see if I can get some answers.

I have an 09 precedent that has a light kit with turn signals already installed. The headlight is the regular old school light bulb Style so I'm assuming that the tail lights are also the same? Well I normally Drive in an area that has street lights so if I get caught after dark there's usually enough light. Well last weekend I went to go visit a friend on the golf cart and got trapped out after dark in an area that did not have Street lamps, and I learned quickly that these light bulbs suck. I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me or anywhere off to the side, and quickly realized, I need brighter lights.
I went on eBay and purchased an led light turn signal combo similar to the madjax. I installed it last night and went for a little Drive and all was well until I went to use the turn signals. The front signals worked but very dimly, and the back turn signals did not work at all. When I would use a turn signal on the left side the left tail light would just dim and not Flash same happens to the right side but when I put the turn signal off they illuminated back to normal.

Is it's safe to assume I do not have an LED relay? Is that my issue?

Should I forego changing out the headlight and just install a LED light bar on my front basket and use that in conjunction? If so, can said light bar be wired in with the headlight so the switch will turn on both without messing up the turn signals?

Thanks all
bospider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: LED upgrade

I returned the LED headlight assembly. Bummed nobody had a response for me. If you have a halogen headlight, is it safe to assume the taillights are the same? Must you change them all out together? I will end up installing a light bar on my clay basket but I would also like to improve the headlight brightness. Should I get a set of LED bulbs?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I am not a lighting expert and so I did not respond, but I will tell you I have H3 style headlight bulbs and I replaced them with a good quality set of LED and have loved them.

And yes, you can change the headlights and leave the taillights as they were or you can remove the bulb(s) and get an LED equivalent.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
Qman97
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I am not a lighting expert and so I did not respond, but I will tell you I have H3 style headlight bulbs and I replaced them with a good quality set of LED and have loved them.

And yes, you can change the headlights and leave the taillights as they were or you can remove the bulb(s) and get an LED equivalent.

Any numbers on the LED bulbs you used? Wife wants brighter bulbs than the stock ones on her new ride
Qman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #5
golf cart man
Gone Unrestrained

Mixed Breed

I also am not a lighting expert however, for you or anyone else that might read this thread when searching.... when I converted brake lights that also doubled as turn signals, I had to replace my flasher unit to an LED compatible flasher unit. Until I did that, the fronts worked dim and the backs did not work at all. I think it has something to do with the fact that LED's draw such a small amount of current the system gets confused with the double purpose rear tail light bulbs. The LED flasher unit solves the problem.
golf cart man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qman97 View Post
Any numbers on the LED bulbs you used? Wife wants brighter bulbs than the stock ones on her new ride
Mine had H3 style bulbs so these https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-6000k-Wh...53.m2749.l2649 are the LED equivalent. Note- these are a "focused" led and made my out-front viewing a lot better and brighter. The set I had before were not these focused (madnified) type and they were really bright, but only broadcasted about 10'....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The Precedent single headlight over the bumper uses (2) 881 bulbs like these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #8
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
The Precedent single headlight over the bumper uses (2) 881 bulbs like these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! That's what I was looking for. Question is, are they an improvement worth noting?
Old 11-09-2018, 10:48 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I actually have those in my cart and while they look good and are a lot brighter when you look at the cart, I don't think they provide any improvement, maybe even worse than the halogen at night.

The main reason is that the light scatters a lot more than the halogen "beam" does.

If You need the light to drive, I think a light bar or a self-contained round LED light would deliver a much more focussed beam than the OEM headlight reflector with LED bulbs.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #10
bospider01
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I actually have those in my cart and while they look good and are a lot brighter when you look at the cart, I don't think they provide any improvement, maybe even worse than the halogen at night.

The main reason is that the light scatters a lot more than the halogen "beam" does.

If You need the light to drive, I think a light bar or a self-contained round LED light would deliver a much more focussed beam than the OEM headlight reflector with LED bulbs.
That's what I was thinking. Light bar is on my wish list and coming very soon to attach to my front basket. Not looking forward to breaking down my dash again to do electrical and mount a switch.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car