lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Another ezgo ign switch question

A three position key switch is two independent switches. Position 1 is off. Position 2 is run - switch one closes (turns on). Position 3 is run with accessories - switch one and two are closed.

My three position key switch has one switch wired per wiring diagram. The second switch is wired any way you want. It can serve as the trigger wire for a reducer. One side of key switch two would be pack +, and the other side will be reducer trigger.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

As yurtle has noted the 3 position switch is off, on and accessory. I know the gas TXT's wire the lights into the 3rd position position because it is all 12v. What type switch do you have now?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #13
Retired01
Not Yet Wild

The switch I have now is just off on 2 post. One blue wire coming from MS2 which I see as 36 volts positive, and one green wire going to MS3. Unless I am missing something, which as I get older is more likely than not, even if I use this existing blue wire, I will still need a 36 volt negative wire for my digital voltmeter and LED beacon? I look forward to your input.
Retired01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #14
Retired01
Not Yet Wild

I just received a HD switch I ordered and the info that came with it says it is for a ezgo 1981 & up golf cart ignition with lights, gas or electric- 4 prong with 2 upgraded keys ( whatever that means?) it did not come with a wiring diagram, but was able to find one on this site that it along with the great help I have already received from "Mooncarter" and "Yurtle" I should be good to go.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If you are going to run the "beacon" at 36v off of the 3rd position, yes. Please note you will still need a 36-12 volt reducer and separate wiring for everything else.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:28 PM   #16
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I would use the second position for the volt meter, and of course running the cart.

Since the beacon will run at 12v, use the 3rd position to "trigger" a voltage reducer. Then run ALL switches and accessories from there. This way you have no draw on the pack when you turn the key off.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:17 PM   #17
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I would use the second position for the volt meter, and of course running the cart.

Since the beacon will run at 12v, use the 3rd position to "trigger" a voltage reducer. Then run ALL switches and accessories from there. This way you have no draw on the pack when you turn the key off.

I agree. Best idea.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 PM   #18
Retired01
Not Yet Wild

I am following your advice so I just ordered a 36volt to 12 Vdc reducer. When you say to use the 3rd switch position to "trigger" the voltage reducer, are you saying that you should run the voltage reducer power in to the switch first and then to the voltage reducer?
Old 11-14-2018, 11:26 PM   #19
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

No. What reducer did you order? It will come with instructions, wiring etc. to trigger it.

The reducer will get its power from the BATTERY PACK itself. You want nothing between that except a fuse.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 PM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

If you bought one that is a plain stand alone reducer you will have to build your own switching system from the key switch. Or, you could install a toggle to turn it on and off, or (not recommended) leave it on all the time.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO