lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Northover13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Would these batteries work ???

Hey I have come across some 12v batteries for a really good price. The only problem I have is they are from a piece of farm equipment and if I’m going to use them I am going to have to build a custom box. So just want some opinion to see if it’s worth the trouble. The batteries are 12V deka batteries. I will attach a picture with. The specs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E99E1D71-38E6-4736-9006-92686612B047.jpg (55.3 KB, 0 views)
Northover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Would these batteries work ???

That's 127 pounds per battery, so the weight is about right to be replacing two 6V batteries. Are these new? I just looked them up and they are a little over twice the size of two Trojan T-105s too.

Biggest question is are they new and if not have they been kept up and how old are they? Do you have a battery hydrometer to check each cell if these are used?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I realized I never answered your question.... Yes, these would work. The issue is that a true deep cycle battery has different construction internally than does a starter battery. This one claims to be a combo which likely means there's some compromises between the two different styles.

If it is built like a starter battery rather than a deep cycle battery it will die sooner than a true deep cycle would.

But I really have no idea how these are constructed. Most of the time when people say they want to try a non-golf-cart battery it's because it's cheaper than dirt and is usually very much less than what a golf cart needs. But your batteries are beefy, so I don't know.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
Northover13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I realized I never answered your question.... Yes, these would work. The issue is that a true deep cycle battery has different construction internally than does a starter battery. This one claims to be a combo which likely means there's some compromises between the two different styles.

If it is built like a starter battery rather than a deep cycle battery it will die sooner than a true deep cycle would.

But I really have no idea how these are constructed. Most of the time when people say they want to try a non-golf-cart battery it's because it's cheaper than dirt and is usually very much less than what a golf cart needs. But your batteries are beefy, so I don't know.
These are big batteries. And they are only a year old. And when I test them on my metre under load they check out as OK all of them in the green. And I have gotten them dirt cheap. These are a 500$ batterie and I got 4 of them for 40$ a piece. So if I can make them work it might be a cheap replacement for my old cart. Don’t really feel like spending 800-1200 on new batteries
Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

8-Ds are definitely deep cycle batteries. They are built to hold a charge for a long time and typically are used in large diesel farm equipment or construction equipment that needs a lot of standby current to start in cold weather.
The worst thing about those will be lowering them into the cart!

Check how much amperage your charger puts out. You may need a charger with a slightly higher output to properly charge those.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
Northover13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah they won’t fit in the cart. I’m going to have to come up with a design to make them work. Nice thing is the they have rope handles on them. And yeah good idea on the chargers.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Those batteries have some seriously huge CCA ratings. Any idea how that translates to Amp hrs?

At $40 each, you could probably make money on selling the cores.

Keep us posted on how you make out with this project.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #8
Tha_B_Man
Gone Wild

Yamaha

$500 for $40. That sounds a little to good to be true. Good luck though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tha_B_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There's no risk at $40 each. You could sell those easily for more than that. Biggest issue is finding space to put them in the cart.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
Those batteries have some seriously huge CCA ratings. Any idea how that translates to Amp hrs?

At $40 each, you could probably make money on selling the cores.

Keep us posted on how you make out with this project.
Reserve capacity is the next closest measure to AH rating.

Those are 440 minute RC @25A, which is 160 minutes more than a Trojan T-1275.
They're similar to a set of T-105s.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, free, will they work
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO