lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default Battery cable lug?

I just started making my own cables and I know it's not ideal, but can you use a lug with a 3/8" hole on a 5/16" stud?
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
Binski
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery cable lug?

Solder or crimp? I would think you'd be fine as long as the bond is tight.
Binski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I wouldn't do it. The whole point of "good" cables is to have the least amount of resistance in the cable (low AWG), a low resistance connection from cable to lug, AND the lug to battery terminal. This is your highest amperage connection, so the more "meat" you have in contact with the battery terminal, the better.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are two possible issues depending on the application.

The first is reduced surface contact if the mating surface is not wide enough to contact the entire lug which can happen in motor studs or solenoid nuts.

The second is facilitating how quick the connection can get loose since the lug can move more freely around the stud.

Check the die fitting if You are using a hydraulic press as well, here is a picture showing a 1/0 Die used on 1/0, 2ga and 4ga lugs.

You should try to get a crimp like the one on the 4ga cable using the 1/0 Die, otherwise You will crush a lot of strands and/or weaken the lug:

Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If I recall, the solenoid lugs are larger than all the others, but a reversing contactor may also be.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #6
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I wouldn't do it. The whole point of "good" cables is to have the least amount of resistance in the cable (low AWG), a low resistance connection from cable to lug, AND the lug to battery terminal. This is your highest amperage connection, so the more "meat" you have in contact with the battery terminal, the better.
Yes, I figured that, but you're really only looking at a difference of .031". Like I said, I know it's not ideal, but how much more resistance would this create?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
There are two possible issues depending on the application.

The first is reduced surface contact if the mating surface is not wide enough to contact the entire lug which can happen in motor studs or solenoid nuts.

The second is facilitating how quick the connection can get loose since the lug can move more freely around the stud.

Check the die fitting if You are using a hydraulic press as well, here is a picture showing a 1/0 Die used on 1/0, 2ga and 4ga lugs.

You should try to get a crimp like the one on the 4ga cable using the 1/0 Die, otherwise You will crush a lot of strands and/or weaken the lug:

Id be worried about the second issue since the lug can move around the stud. If torqued properly, even though it did have extra clearance, would the lug loosen up from the battery stud over time?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
Yes, I figured that, but you're really only looking at a difference of .031". Like I said, I know it's not ideal, but how much more resistance would this create?
Or how much money would it cost to do it right?

Dunno, but I like to stick with what's spec'ed.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #9
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
If I recall, the solenoid lugs are larger than all the others, but a reversing contactor may also be.
Reversing contactor has 3/8" studs. It would only be one wire that would have a larger hole and it's the wire coming off the solenoid going to the Battery Main+.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:09 PM   #10
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Or how much money would it cost to do it right?

Dunno, but I like to stick with what's spec'ed.
Lol! It's not even money, it's me being lazy. I would just need to cut the lug off and solder the correct lug on and heat shrink. I guess I'll just do it, why skimp now.

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO