lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2018, 07:09 PM   #11
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stuck brake drum - how much heat?

If you loosen the bolts that hold the brake housing backing plate on, will brake drum wiggle/move when pulled on? If so brake shoes are holding drum on shaft as backing plate holds shoes to axle housing.
If drum does not move, drum hub frozen on shaft.
Drum hub frozen to axle shaft. I always used oxygen acetylene torch to heat up drum.
Probane torch will not generate enough heat in the short amount of needed without also heating axle to cause drum to break loose
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #12
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Your not the only one this has happen to. There is other threads here about the same problem. They had to cut it off. One member never did get all of it off the axle. He had to cut enough off to get to the C clip and remove the axle and get another one
Well that is frightening. Thanks for the candle tip, R. Boyd.

I got it down to this:

I thought it would fall off once it got to this point, but it is still holding tight. I ran out of time and will try to get it off tomorrow.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

That is one stubborn mamajama.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Kick it off a there
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #15
rib33024

Not sure if you can see the pics. they are hosted by Photosucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHusker View Post
OK, made some progress today, in the end yes a bigger hammer does help . I did buy some different blades, but I soon learned that was going no where. After breaking the hub to smaller pieces I was able to get to the snap ring holding the axle, Yaaaaaaaa,,,,,,NOT. You would think getting this far would allow me to slide it out,,,,,,ha ha funny. I had to take the diff cover off to see what was going on, it was loose on the inside, but it was not going to budge...... I played with it for about an hour thinking it would give way, but it was not happening, so I decided to take a screw driver and pound it from the inside, whatcha know the darn thing started to come loose, bearing and all . As you can see from the pics, I never did get the darn hub off of the darn thing . OH, Well those things happen, maybe it was for the best, tells me that the rearend was in worse shape then I thought. Well take a look,,,,,, and laugh

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #16
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
Well that is frightening. Thanks for the candle tip, R. Boyd.

I got it down to this:

I thought it would fall off once it got to this point, but it is still holding tight. I ran out of time and will try to get it off tomorrow.
That looks to have been welded to the axle shaft! You can see what looks like weld penetration above and below where the metal is missing.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:23 AM   #17
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
That looks to have been welded to the axle shaft! You can see what looks like weld penetration above and below where the metal is missing.
That's what I was thinking too.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #18
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I could be wrong but to me it looks like a build up of grinding dust from the use of a cut off wheel mixed with penetrating oils or the grainy structure left when you break metal off. I wouldn't imagine a weld would have that much penetration with the way the inside of the drums are designed they protrude into the axle housing some. I would think if it were welded right there the teeth on the part of the axle that is exposed would be gone too.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 AM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I believe it would be impossible to weld the inside of drum to the axle. The outside yes, but not the inside?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #20
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

COOSA, the guys have covered all the ways to get that sucker off the axel that I can think of.....but I want to add one more thing.....but its something to consider doing when you go back together with everything and that is ensure that you put some "ANTI-SEIZE" on both axel's to ensure this NEVER happens again, EVER.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO