lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2018, 09:05 AM   #1
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default Monitoring motor temps?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...M4HO5LUF&psc=1

I know it's cheap, but do you guys think this can be used to monitor the temps of the motor? It has an external probe which I would just mount to the outside of the motor. It may not be 100% accurate, but it should tell me if the motor is getting too hot under certain conditions.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Default Re: Monitoring motor temps?

The 40" probe cable length will be be a problem because extended the cable will more that likely compromise the accuracy.

I think you'd be better off getting a IR temp gun and keeping it in the cart with you (that's what I do). Shoot the motor casing to keep an eye on temperatures when you feel you're pushing the motor pretty hard and keep the temp under 200F.

The hand test is always a good gauge also... if you can keep your hand on the motor casing comfortably for a few seconds; you're good.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

ASTM C1055 (Standard Guide for Heated System Surface Conditions that Produce Contact Burn Injuries) recommends that pipe surface temperatures remain at or below 140°F. The reason for this is that the average person can touch a 140°F surface for up to five seconds without sustaining irreversible burn damage.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
The 40" probe cable length will be be a problem because extended the cable will more that likely compromise the accuracy.

I think you'd be better off getting a IR temp gun and keeping it in the cart with you (that's what I do). Shoot the motor casing to keep an eye on temperatures when you feel you're pushing the motor pretty hard and keep the temp under 200F.

The hand test is always a good gauge also... if you can keep your hand on the motor casing comfortably for a few seconds; you're good.
I have a temp gun, but I would like something that I could just check at a quick glance as I'm driving. How off can it be, 5-10 degrees? I know it's not going to be that accurate, It's more of a oh **** gauge that lets' me know it's time to pull over and pull out the temp gun.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #5
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Understood.

Keep in mind that unit is not back lit and will be hard to view during nighttime driving.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There are a lot of options available, as far as extending the probes, the DS18B20 based digital probes (small cylinder looking probe) can be extended without issues.

The thermistors K probes should not be extended unless you can check and possibly re-calibrate.

Either the temp gun or the probe should measure the temperature of the painted part of the motor body, You need to keep it below 190F.

You can also get the type with a programmable alarm where you can wire a pilot light or LED to indicate when the motor is reaching its limit and you need to take it easy.
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Fahren...5837263&sr=1-4
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This discussion will give you the information you need. Monitoring motor temp is as important as monitoring voltage.
Happy Holidays

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...p-exist-5.html
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Thanks Sergio for the link and thanks Scotty for the idea of how to mount it. It's better to be safe than sorry. Loving the new charger my brothers got me for Christmas. I wonder how they knew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yewy charger.jpg (44.5 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO