lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

Default Re: PDS won't go when cold.

It only throws the code when it clicks but doesn't move. When it does move, there's no code thrown. Again, it works all summer long, so it's a temperature thing. I can jerry-rig something to try to keep the controller warm, but I really want to fix it long term.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyejudge View Post
So, I did something I should have done a long time ago. I put the cart in diagnostic mode and got the 3-1 code. "Solenoid driver fail". So may have to swap controllers, or do you think spray cleaner might help or anything else to try?

I'd clean/check all the plugs and wire connections for corrosion and tightness. Then I'd measure the voltage on the yellow wire going to the solenoid coil and see what it does when the solenoid tries to close.

The solenoid takes something like 3A to close and about 1A to stay closed. The pack voltage on the yellow wire shouldn't drop much with just a 3A initial load.
You can swap the DVM's reference from B- to B+ and watch the voltage drop on the blue wire.

All the plug contacts live in an acid laden atmosphere and need to be cleaned periodically. I seen picture of connections on a PDS controller getting hot enough to completely burn away the plug and jack pins/sockets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Voltage paths through PDS controller.jpg (138.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:49 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyejudge View Post
It only throws the code when it clicks but doesn't move. When it does move, there's no code thrown. Again, it works all summer long, so it's a temperature thing. I can jerry-rig something to try to keep the controller warm, but I really want to fix it long term.

New controller or this:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/a...0/22443ceae6ef

Plug in when it's cold, remove to drive.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:49 PM   #14
buckeyejudge
Getting Wild

I swapped the controller with another stock PDS controller, so I'm going to look into having this one rebuilt. Thanks for all the guidance.

buckeyejudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:23 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

My series AXE 4855 has been intermittently throwing a "2 Red = Under Temperature. Controller below -25C" code for a while. Yesterday it ran, today, no go. I doubt my controller is under 25°C. I'm gonna try a heat gun, then will open it up and see if I can change the temp sensor with a resistor. That's assuming the rest of the circuit is OK.

Alltrax said to isolate/insulate the controller from the frame. I did this a while back, and it ran some, but left me stranded once.

Sorry to "hijack" your thread, but I'm not asking for help. Just sharin' as you're the first I remember having a low temp related problem.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #16
mjroman20
Gone Wild

There's a group of MXs floating around that Curtis used some different parts in. There must have been a change from the vendor at some point. A couple of op amps if I recall correctly. They don't have as wide a temp range as they should. As a result users in colder climates may experience some issues during the winter.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO